K-State hosts Purple-White Scrimmage this weekend

0
171
Senior Savannah Smith rides Penny during the reining competition against Baylor University at Timbercreek Stables on Feb. 28, 2015. (File Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

K-State’s Equestrian team will kick off the 2015-16 season on Sunday with the fifth annual Purple-White Scrimmage. The scrimmage is meant to give riders the opportunity to compete in a varsity setting.

“We have had great preparation heading into the season and this scrimmage allows everyone a great opportunity to see where they stand,” head coach Casie Maxwell said to K-State Sports. “Coaches get to see riders perform under pressure and athletes get to assess what they need to focus on before the first countable competition. It is a great test run and also a rare opportunity to see everyone have the opportunity to compete.”

Last season, Maxwell was named the 2015 co-Big 12 Equestrian Coach of the Year and added two former K-State letter winners to her coaching staff this season. Jackie Bogstad will serve as assistant coach for hunt seat and Kelly Bovaird will serve as assistant coach for western.

The Wildcats have won 18 consecutive home meets over the last two seasons. Last season, K-State was undefeated at home and finished the regular season with a 9-9 record.

K-State will return two NCEA All-Americans and four riders who were named Big 12 Rider of the Month in their individual disciplines.

K-State will kick off the regular season on Oct. 3 when they travel to Brookings, South Dakota to take on South Dakota State.