SGA closes accounts, reminds of upcoming legislation

0
157

The K-State Student Governing Association approved the closing of accounts from last year and reminded senators of upcoming legislation in their meeting Thursday.

Senators voted to move $41,395.37 of last year’s unused funds for various student groups into the contingency account. The groups included campus-wide organizations, college councils, institutional services, academic competition teams, multicultural organizations and fine arts groups.

The university allocations committee is required to close all accounts on a yearly basis; any unused funds for student groups revert back to SGA.

SGA also voted to allocate $3,675.31 to the Community Cultural Harmony Week.

Senators were reminded of upcoming legislation. The next meeting will involve legislation concerning the impact on K-State of the Kansas gun control law. The future of $500,000 of student privilege fee funding for K-State Athletics is also likely to be discussed at the meeting.

“All of the information that Athletics has provided the (appropriations) committee is on OrgSync,” Garrett Kays, chairman of the appropriations committee and senior in agricultural economics, said. “So something that I would like to encourage all of (you senators) to do is really dig through that information because I’m going to request that all of you make a very informed decision when we introduce legislation, because it’s not going to be an easy decision.”

An update of the K-State Student Union renovations was provided by Audrey Taggart-Kagdis, director of marketing and community relations for the Student Union.

“All services and programs will remain open during the project,” Taggart-Kagdis said. “They may be in a little bit different location, or a smaller footprint, but we will still provide all the things to our campus as we have always done.”

She also clarified the food service situation.

“They are going to wall off the food court about December, January and we are working to secure food truck operations to come in and service students for meals on Bosco Student Plaza,” Taggart-Kagdis said.

Subway will remain open throughout the renovation. The coffee shop will remain open until April, but will be run by Radina’s instead of Caribou Coffee.

Nathan Laudan and Katie VanDever, K-State student ambassadors, reminded senators that applications to be the next student ambassadors are due midnight Tuesday, Sept. 22.

The K-State ambassadors are elected by the student body and named at halftime of the Homecoming football game. They represent K-State throughout Kansas and at university events. More information can be found on the K-State Alumni Association website.

Jason Tidd
Jason Tidd graduated from Kansas State University's Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communication in May 2017. He was the spring 2017 editor-in-chief, fall 2016 news editor and spring 2016 assistant news editor. While at K-State, Jason played baritone in the Pride of Wildcat Land marching band.