#Hashtag: House votes to defund Planned Parenthood

0
158

Using the now-famous nine heavily edited sting videos against Planned Parenthood for political cover, the Republican-led House of Representatives has officially voted today to cease federal funding to Planned Parenthood for one year.

Despite the fact that every state investigating Planned Parenthood thus far has found no actual evidence of wrongdoing, the baby-killing narrative machine heartily rattles on. The House’s defunding vote was passed 241-187. Only three Republicans voted against party and against the bill, while only two Democrats broke rank and voted for the bill.

Here’s what Twitter sounds like today:

Glad we settled that.

But despite its serious sounding nature, this vote passage will largely serve as just a gesture, a move to simply pacify staunch conservatives like Ted Cruz who have threatened to shut down the federal government unless funding to Planned Parenthood is stopped. This bill now goes on to the Senate, where it will face huge opposition from Senate Democrats.

And then beyond that, there’s this little (insurmountable) issue for proponents of the bill:

Hi, I’m Jonathan. I graduate this December, majoring in Anthropology, with minors in Creative Writing and Political Science. After that … we’ll see. Maybe graduate school in environmental anthropology. Maybe I’ll finally pursue my old childhood dream of becoming an infomercial host. It’s up in the air. Some of my interests and hobbies include devout sports fanaticism, religious study, and composing country songs that serve to explain the unearthly amount of disdain I have for country music. My band’s called Catfish Hurricane, you should check us out. Well, actually, you shouldn’t. I love writing, which is how I accidentally stumbled into this job. This stumbling into good things is my plan for life in general.