Big 12 Power Rankings: Sooners stay atop the rankings as the Red Raiders surge into the top 5

0
221
Senior quarterback Jake Waters finds a hole in the Texas Tech defense during the first quarter of the Wildcats' 45-13 defeat of the Red Raiders on Oct. 4, 2014 at Bill Snyder Family Stadium. (File Photo by Parker Robb | The Collegian)

There was not much change at the top, but the west (Texas school) is rising in the latest Big 12 Power Rankings.

1. Oklahoma (15) (3-0) Next: BYE

The Sooners keep the top spot in the power rankings, and after an entertaining 52-38 win over Tulsa, Oklahoma gets a week off. Up next is their Big 12 opener against the West Virginia Mountaineers on Oct. 3.

2. TCU (3) (3-0) Next: At Texas Tech

One of the many undefeated teams in the Big 12, the Horned Frogs face an off-field issue after two players were arrested for an incident that occurred on Sept. 4. This weekend, they open up the Big 12 schedule with in-state rival Texas Tech who has improved offensively. That should test this revamped TCU defense.

3. Baylor (5) (2-0) Next: Rice

The Bears come back after a week off; however, their Big 12 opener against Texas Tech in less than two weeks should be very telling. I’m not so sure the Bears will be pushing around the Red Raiders like in recent years.

4. Oklahoma State (24) (3-0) Next: At Texas

After slapping around the UTSA Roadrunners this past weekend, the ‘Pokes take their show on the road this weekend to Austin to face the Longhorns. Although Oklahoma State is better, they’ve only won four times in Austin and have an overall record of 4-15 when playing at Darrell K. Royal Stadium.

5. Texas Tech (NR) (3-0) Next: TCU

Perhaps the most improved team of the early season, the Red Raiders have a chance to score one of the biggest seasons of the 2015 season as they host TCU at home. The Red Raiders are averaging over 50 points a game which should be good enough to make TCU’s trip to Lubbock very interesting.

6. Kansas State (NR) (3-0) Next: BYE

The Wildcats slipped a bit this week, mainly due to Oklahoma State and Texas Tech making strong cases early on in the Big 12 season. The Wildcats travel to Oklahoma State next weekend after this week’s bye week.

7. West Virginia (NR) (2-0) Next: Maryland

Although it’s expected that the Mountaineers will beat rival Maryland this week, next week’s game at Oklahoma will give us a better view of this Mountaineer team.

8. Texas (NR) (1-2) Next: Oklahoma State

Can you find solace in a loss? If you’re the Texas Longhorns you sure can. After the brutal loss suffered this past week against Cal, the Longhorns have found their quarterback for the future. His first test? The Oklahoma State defense that’s allowed an average of 11.7 points a game on the season.

9. Iowa State (NR) (1-2) Next: BYE

Last week, I said that a loss to Toledo would make things very uncomfortable around Ames for the next few months. Well, they lost so now it’s time to get uncomfortable, but look at it this way Iowa State fans, you get Kansas as your next game!

10. Kansas (NR) (0-2) Next: At Rutgers

After a bye week, the Jayhawks travel up to New Jersey and face off with the Rutgers Scarlet Knights. Rutgers is a walking nightmare off the field, and Kansas is a walking nightmare on the field. In case you want to see two trains crash full steam ahead, tune into the Big Ten Network at 11 a.m. on Saturday.