Big 12 defensive rankings

0
125
Senior defensive end Marquel Bryant attempts to get around Stephen F. Austin's blockers on Aug. 30, 2014 at Bill Snyder Family Stadium. (File Photo by Emily DeShazer | The Collegian)

1. Emmanuel Ogbah, defensive end, Oklahoma State (1)

It’s hard to move Ogbah when he keeps putting on defensive clinics each week. This past Saturday against Texas, he had five tackles in which 1.5 of those were sacks. He has led the Cowboys to a national ranked position in the polls and will be a huge key against K-State this week.

2. Karl Joseph, safety, West Virginia (2)

Joseph had a solid game Saturday against rival Maryland as he had four tackles in the game. He has 15 tackles in the three games this season, which is why he will stay at No. 2 for this week’s rankings.

3. Shawn Oakman, defensive end, Baylor (4)

Oakman has earned a move in the rankings as he is now the third best defensive player in the Big 12 on this list. He has 11 tackles in two games this season with five of those coming last Saturday against Rice. Oakman and the Bears will take on Texas Tech this Saturday.

4. Dale Pierson, defensive end, Iowa State (3)

The Cyclone defense has struggled the past two weeks as they have given up at least 30 points in both games. Pierson has not helped their cause, as he had a rough game on Sept. 19 in which he only recorded three tackles in the loss to Toledo. They will look to get back on track Saturday against Kansas.

5. Andrew Billings, defensive tackle, Baylor (5)

The Baylor defense has played very well lately, and Andrew Billings is a major part of that. He had four solo tackles against Rice on Saturday and continues to step up for this team.

6. Eric Striker, linebacker, Oklahoma (6)

Oklahoma had a bye week this past Saturday, but Striker will not be punished for that. He has had 16 tackles in three games this season. With a game this week against West Virginia, he has a good chance of making a big move in the rankings.

7. Zack Sanchez, cornerback, Oklahoma (8)

Sanchez has been very impressive and moved up in the rankings with another good game. He has 14 tackles in three games, and we should expect a well-played game from him this Saturday against West Virginia.

8. Marquel Bryant, defensive end, Kansas State (7)

Bryant and the Wildcats will travel to Oklahoma State where the defense will be the key for the Wildcats. Bryant has had eight tackles in the first three games of the year and will be looked upon to be a leader in this game.

9. Nick Kwiatkoski, linebacker, West Virginia (9)

After moving up a spot last week, Kwiatkoski played well Saturday against Maryland as he had four tackles in the game. The Mountaineers will travel to Norman, Oklahoma where they will battle the Sooners on Saturday.

10. Travis Britz, defensive tackle, Kansas State (10)

Britz has 10 tackles on the season and will need to step up for the Wildcats Saturday against Oklahoma State. He has two sacks on the season and will be looked upon on the D-line against the Cowboys.