Big 12 Power Rankings: rankings stays stagnant as last week’s major upsets were avoided

0
99
Junior runningback Charles Jones rushes one yard into the endzone for K-State's second touchdown during the fourth quarter of the Wildcats' 23-0 shutout of the Texas Longhorns on Oct. 25, 2014 in Bill Snyder Family Stadium. (File Photo by Parker Robb | The Collegian)

We’ve entered the second week of Big 12 play, and the conference picture is beginning to crystallize as we venture toward October.

1. Oklahoma (15) (3-0) Next: West Virginia

The Sooners return to action after a bye week, and even with the week off, they’ve been the most consistent team in the conference for most, if not all, of the nonconference period. They’re finally facing their first test of the season as they match up with West Virginia in Norman on Saturday.

2. TCU (4) (4-0) Next: Texas

We finally saw the TCU Horned Frogs faced a tough test Saturday as they barely climbed past the Texas Tech Red Raiders for a 55-52 nail-biting win. This week they get another Lone Star rival, the Texas Longhorns.

3. Baylor (5) (3-0) Next: Texas Tech (Arlington, TX)

The Bears have yet to be tested in the early going of the 2015 season. This week they face the Texas Tech Red Raiders. Tech was just seconds away from pulling off the second biggest upset of 2015 by beating TCU; expect more of the same drama Saturday at Jerry World.

4. Oklahoma State (20) (4-0) Next: Kansas State

Another team that faced their first test Saturday was the Oklahoma State Cowboys, and it took a muffed punt from Texas to keep the Cowboys undefeated. They welcome the K-State Wildcats who haven’t won in Stillwater since 1999.

5. Texas Tech (NR) (3-1) Next: At Baylor (Arlington, TX)

The Red Raiders had a chance to pull off one of the season’s biggest upsets but instead lost in dramatic fashion. They now have a chance to beat another highly ranked Big 12 foe; this time it’s their longtime rival Baylor.

6. Kansas State (NR) (3-0) Next: At Oklahoma State

On the cusp of being ranked, the Wildcats travel to Stillwater, Oklahoma where they haven’t won since 1999. I’d say a win here would change the Wildcats’ status as a ranked team come Sunday morning.

7. West Virginia (23) (3-0) Next: At Oklahoma

West Virginia is another team that has yet to be tested and will finally get their first challenge of the 2015 season this week. After dispatching rival Maryland 45-6 Saturday, the Mountaineers venture to Norman, Oklahoma to face OU and get revenge for a 45-33 loss suffered a year ago.

8. Texas (NR) (1-3) Next: At TCU

Here’s how the Longhorns season has gone so far: got blown out by Notre Dame, won their second game, fired their embattled athletic director, lost off a missed extra point and lost off a muffed punt late in a game against Oklahoma State. It’s clear that Texas needs a hug and some wins.

9. Iowa State (NR) (1-2) Next: Kansas

Look, Iowa State has lost two games in a row and should have won both of them. In any other conference they’d probably be sitting in dead last of their conference, but, well, Kansas is renting out that space in the Big 12 basement.

10. Kansas (NR) (0-3) Next: At Iowa State

This may possibly be the best chance for Kansas to win a game in the Big 12 this season. As I type this, the Jayhawks are currently a 16-point underdog according to Las Vegas Insider. To Iowa State. A team who has yet to beat an FBS team in 2015.