News briefs

0
84

K-State receives national honors award for diversity dedication

For the second year in a row, K-State received the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity award from “INSIGHT into Diversity” magazine, according to a release from K-State News and Communications Services.

The HEED award is one that recognizes U.S. colleges and institutions for dedication to initiatives of diversity and inclusion. In addition to being one of 92 colleges nationwide that were recognized this year, K-State is also the only higher education institution in the state to be be a HEED award recipient.

Parts of Milford Lake under blue algae watch, others safe

Following testing by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, the southern end of Milford Lake, Zone A, has received an “all clear” from blue green algae growth.

R. J. Harms, with the Corps of Engineers, said that the middle of the lake, Zone B, however, is still under watch and the northern end, Zone C, continues to be under warning, according to the Little Apple Post.

In the area where warning is still in effect, activities involving direct water contact, such as swimming and jet skiing are discouraged. However, boating and fishing from the shore are allowed there and on the rest of the lake.

Former K-State football captain named homecoming parade grand marshal

1946 graduate and former football captain Russell Hardin was named as the grand marshal of the 2015 homecoming parade by the K-State Alumni Association today.

Hardin served as football captain in 1945 and went on to practice veterinary medicine for 37 years in his native state of Indiana, according to a K-State Today press release. The parade kicks off on Friday, Oct. 16 at 5 p.m.

The theme of this year’s parade is “A Century of Coming Home” to celebrate the 100th anniversary of K-State homecoming.

“The parade gives K-State students the opportunity to show off their school spirit through homecoming-themed floats, which will journey throughout downtown Manhattan and Aggieville,” Amanda Lee, assistant director of student programs for the K-State Alumni Association, said in the release.

Mobile food pantry to be hosted on campus

Harvesters Community Food Network and HandsOn Kansas State are hosting a mobile food pantry from 3 to 5 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 9 in the C-1 parking lot of the Chester E. Peters Recreation Complex. The food pantry will distribute free fresh produce and is open for all Manhattan residents.

Hey there! I'm Danielle Cook. I'm currently a freshman in journalism and mass communications. I live for telling true stories, so I hope to be doing it for the rest of my life. Luckily, I also live for late nights and early mornings – as long as there's coffee and I'm in good company.