#Hashtag: Gallup gives up some of its 2016 election polling

0
27

Gallup, arguably the biggest name in public polling, has decided that it will not be conducting any horse race polling for the 2016 election, and potentially beyond.

Another big name in public opinion gathering, the Pew Research Center also will be conducting no such polling.

If you’re at all worried about Donald Trump or Ben Carson or Hillary Clinton dominating in their respective primaries, then you can take a whole lot of solace in this news, as it signals the huge accuracy problems recent presidential polling has run in to.

In Politico’s article, “Gallup gives up the horse race,” they detail that “It’s a stunning move for an organization that built its reputation on predicting the winners of presidential elections. But it comes at a time of unusual tumult in the polling world. Other top-level brands like the nonprofit Pew Research Center have yet to poll the horse race, and still others have expressed concern about the accuracy of polling at a time when fewer people are reachable or willing to talk to pollsters.”

Hi, I’m Jonathan. I graduate this December, majoring in Anthropology, with minors in Creative Writing and Political Science. After that … we’ll see. Maybe graduate school in environmental anthropology. Maybe I’ll finally pursue my old childhood dream of becoming an infomercial host. It’s up in the air. Some of my interests and hobbies include devout sports fanaticism, religious study, and composing country songs that serve to explain the unearthly amount of disdain I have for country music. My band’s called Catfish Hurricane, you should check us out. Well, actually, you shouldn’t. I love writing, which is how I accidentally stumbled into this job. This stumbling into good things is my plan for life in general.