Big 12 Power Rankings Week 6

0
338
Junior runningback Charles Jones rushes for a small gain as Oklahoma players bring him down during the third quarter of the No. 14-ranked Wildcats' 31-30 upset of the No. 11-ranked Sooners on Oct. 18, 2014, at Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium in Norman, Oklahoma. (File Photo Parker Robb | The Collegian)

There hasn’t been much changed to the Big 12 standings but with this weeks’ showdowns in Morgantown and Manhattan, the power rankings could be very interesting this time next week.

1. Oklahoma (10) (4-0) Next: Texas in Dallas

Oklahoma retains the top spot in the Big 12 Conference power ranking this week. The defense still has a few issues but they are still the most consistent team in the conference. Their matchup this week against Texas should be a good time to address some of their issues.

2. TCU (2) (5-0) Next: At K-State

TCU put together their first complete game of 2015, dispatching rival Texas 50-7. This week, the Horned Frogs go on the road for possibly their toughest road game of the season so far at Kansas State.

3. Baylor (3) (4-0) Next: At Kansas

Another week, another game where the Baylor Bears put up over 50 points a game. It is highly possible that the Bears will put up 100 on Kansas this week.

4. Oklahoma State (21) (5-0) Next: At West Virginia

A week after beating K-State, the Cowboys face another tough test, this time on the road at West Virginia. A win in Morgantown sets up the Cowboys with two winnable games versus Texas Tech and Kansas. That would possibly set up a undefeated top 10 or 15 showdown with TCU in the first week of November.

5. West Virginia (NR) (3-1) Next: Oklahoma State

If a loss to Oklahoma hurt, then the news that defensive standout Karl Joseph is done for the season hurts even more. Despite the loss to Oklahoma, the Mountaineers have a chance to fight their way back up the power rankings with a win against Oklahoma State this Saturday.

6. Kansas State (NR) (3-1) Next: TCU

Injuries, lack of production from the cornerback spot and ongoing QB issues are just the problems at center stage for the Wildcats. I wish I could say that things would get better for the Wildcats, but the next two games for K-State are TCU and Oklahoma, good luck.

7. Texas Tech (NR) (3-2) Next: Iowa State

Another team who’s been dealt a rough early schedule is Texas Tech who had to face Baylor and TCU to start out the Big 12 slate. Now they get Iowa State who’s looking to build off of their win over cellar-dweller Kansas.

8. Iowa State (NR) (2-2) Next: At Texas Tech

Last week, Iowa State put up 38 points on Kansas. Is this a sign of the Cyclones looking to compete for a bowl bid, or is this just a sign that Kansas is dreadful?

9. Texas (NR) (1-4) Next: Oklahoma in Dallas

Although things could be worse for Texas, it seems like this weekend’s yearly renewal with rival Oklahoma could be the tipping point of the Longhorns season. If Texas can keep it close against the Sooners, it could keep the University of Texas alumni off of Charlie Strong’s back for just a few more weeks. However, a blow out in the Cotton Bowl could mean the beginning of the end for Strong and his staff.

10. Kansas (NR) (0-4) Next: Baylor

The bad news, Kansas still has to finish out the rest of the football season. The good news, Kansas basketball officially starts Oct. 9. Wait, that’s not good news at all.