SGA proposes cuts to Athletics funding

0
141

The Student Governing Association proposed a cut to K-State Athletics’ privilege fee funding at its meeting Thursday.

The legislation, which will be acted upon next week, proposes a cut in funding from the current $500,000 to $200,000 by 2019. Garrett Kays, privilege fee committee chairman and senior in agricultural economics, said that K-State Athletics has agreed to the details of the legislation.

The funding would be cut to $400,000 for fiscal year 2017 and fiscal year 2018 would see a further decrease to $350,000 before the cut to $200,000 for fiscal year 2019. K-State Athletics will spend the money on student employee wages.

Funding will be reviewed again before fiscal year 2020.

The legislation also has several agreements between SGA and K-State Athletics, including free student access to baseball, volleyball, women’s basketball and women’s soccer. The student section of Bill Snyder Family Stadium will be located from sections 24 through 28, the same area as before. The student section of Bramlage Coliseum will be sections 19 through 25.

SGA also approved allocations to four student groups.

The College of Agriculture ambassadors will receive $800, the Pre-Physician Assistant Club will receive $250, the Agricultural Education Club will receive $800 and the Nepalese Student Association will receive $750.

Jason Tidd
Jason Tidd graduated from Kansas State University's Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communication in May 2017. He was the spring 2017 editor-in-chief, fall 2016 news editor and spring 2016 assistant news editor. While at K-State, Jason played baritone in the Pride of Wildcat Land marching band.