#Hashtag: Killer of Cecil the Lion will not face charges

0
18

Walter Palmer, the American dentist who in July shot and killed protected Cecil the Lion on a big-game hunt, will not face prosecution charges.

Palmer caught a huge amount of backlash from people upset about trophy hunting. However, technically he did not break any law, as officials say his papers were in order.

CNN’s article, “Cecil the Lion: Zimbabwe won’t prosecute dentist,” details other reasons for the summer uproar. “the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force reported that Cecil was lured out of Hwange National Park and shot with a compound bow.”

CNN’s article also relates that “The hunters also tried to destroy the GPS collar that Cecil was wearing as part of a research project backed by Oxford University, according to the conservation group.”

Cecil’s death, while sad for many, does serve to encourage more important discussion on the morality of trophy hunting and animal rights.

Hi, I’m Jonathan. I graduate this December, majoring in Anthropology, with minors in Creative Writing and Political Science. After that … we’ll see. Maybe graduate school in environmental anthropology. Maybe I’ll finally pursue my old childhood dream of becoming an infomercial host. It’s up in the air. Some of my interests and hobbies include devout sports fanaticism, religious study, and composing country songs that serve to explain the unearthly amount of disdain I have for country music. My band’s called Catfish Hurricane, you should check us out. Well, actually, you shouldn’t. I love writing, which is how I accidentally stumbled into this job. This stumbling into good things is my plan for life in general.