#Hashtag: Takeaways from the first Democrat debate

0
26

The first Democrat debate of the 2016 election cycle took place last night, sparking much energy in American homes and social media. Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders, as the far-and-away top two candidates, consumed much of the attention and talking time, with Martin O’Malley doing a respectable job, while safely staying in his distant third lane. Jim Webb and Lincoln Chafee did not seem to belong on the stage, with anemic polling numbers and uninspiring performances.

There was also a sentiment that the Democratic debate was much more adult, substantive than what we’ve seen so far in the two Republican ones.

The best line of the night was undeniably when Bernie Sanders said about the attention towards Clinton’s email scandal: “The American people are sick and tired of hearing about your damn emails.”

Jonathan Greig
Hi, I’m Jonathan. I graduate this December, majoring in Anthropology, with minors in Creative Writing and Political Science. After that … we’ll see. Maybe graduate school in environmental anthropology. Maybe I’ll finally pursue my old childhood dream of becoming an infomercial host. It’s up in the air. Some of my interests and hobbies include devout sports fanaticism, religious study, and composing country songs that serve to explain the unearthly amount of disdain I have for country music. My band’s called Catfish Hurricane, you should check us out. Well, actually, you shouldn’t. I love writing, which is how I accidentally stumbled into this job. This stumbling into good things is my plan for life in general.