Big 12 Power Rankings week 7: Offense

0
56
TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin passes during the football game between K-State and Texas Christian University on Oct. 10, 2015 in Bill Snyder Family Stadium. (George Walker | The Collegian)

1. Trevone Boykin, QB, TCU (1)

Before this weekend’s game against K-State, some doubts were placed on his credibility as a potential Heisman candidate; he had no issues silencing the critics, however. Boykin put the team on his back as he completed 20 of 30 passes for 301 yards including two touchdowns. He also ran for 124 yards on 11 carries and two rushing touchdowns, one of those rushes being a 69-yard dash to give the Horned Frogs the lead late in the fourth quarter. Boykin has shown he is the strongest candidate for the Heisman in all of college football thus far.

2. Josh Doctson, WR, TCU (9)

I really hate placing a Heisman-worthy quarterback at the #1 spot with his best wideout following, but I just cannot help myself this week. Doctson wreaked havoc on the K-State secondary throughout the day, finishing with 155 receiving yards, eight receptions, two touchdowns and a 2-point conversion grab. Doctson now has 10 receiving touchdowns this season, just one short of the school’s record of 11, which he set last year.

3. Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech (10)

Patrick Mahomes has consistently led the Red Raider’s offense to huge numbers this season, with the lowest amount of points in a game being 35 in a victory against Arkansas and a loss to Baylor. Last weekend, Mahomes was just too much for the Iowa State defense as his squad came out victorious with a score of 66-31. Mahomes looked untouchable as he completed 33 of his 46 passes, five of those being touchdowns, for 428 passing yards.

4. Joe Hubener, QB, Kansas State (unranked)

Joe Hubener, who has received criticism this year for lacking confidence and playing hesitantly, showed no sign of those issues against TCU on Saturday. Despite coming up just short in a 52-45 loss, Hubener really seemed to be putting pressure on the Horned Frogs’ defense and had them on their heels the whole time – something K-State fans have been looking for all season. Although Hubener completed only 13 of his 33 passes and no touchdown passes, still threw for 157 yards. He made his biggest impact in the running game, rushing fearlessly at the TCU defense for 111 yards on 26 carries for four touchdowns.

5. Charles Jones, RB, Kansas State (unranked)

This weekend we had the pleasure of watching the Charles Jones that Wildcats fans have been looking for all year. Jones has dealt with accusations of being reluctant on the rush and not playing with enough toughness to break tackles and gain crucial extra yards. Jones proved the pundits wrong last Saturday as he took off for 75 yards on 13 carries for two touchdowns. Though it may not look like his yardage is impressive on paper, Jones really came through for the Wildcats when they needed it most.

6. Jakeem Grant, WR, Texas Tech (unranked)

Red Raiders wide receiver Jakeem Grant came out hungry against the Cyclones. He put up 166 receiving yards on nine receptions for two touchdowns, one of those touchdowns being a huge 75-yard play in the first quarter.

7. Aaron Green, RB, TCU (unranked)

Aaron Green recorded his third 100-rushing yard game in the last four matches as he sped his way to 121 yards on 11 carries for two touchdowns. Green began the day with a dream start, dashing for an 86-yard touchdown on the first play from scrimmage.

8. Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor (4)

Corey Coleman comfortably tore through the Jayhawk’s defense en route to a 66-7 blowout win. He had seven catches for 108 yards with two receiving scores. Look forward to Coleman being the impact player in Baylor’s next game against the West Virginia Mountaineers.

9. Mike Warren, RB, Iowa State (unranked)

Despite a rather underwhelming campaign for the Cyclones thus far, if there is one bright spot, it is in Mike Warren. Despite no scores against Texas Tech, the freshman ran for a season-high 245 yards, the most rushing yards by a freshman in a game in all of college football this year.

10. Seth Russell, QB, Baylor (8)

Seth Russell, a player who has performed week after week for his Bears, showed no difference this weekend against the Jayhawks. Russell’s finesse was just too much for the weak Kansas defense as he completed 18 of 27 passes for 246 yards in the air, throwing three touchdowns in the process. Russell also ran in a five-yard touchdown.