Monday News Briefs

0
62

K-State alum receives honorary doctorate

Marlin Fitzwater, White House press secretary from 1987 to 1993, earned a honorary doctorate from K-State, according to K-State News and Communications Services. He is the only person to have worked for two presidents as press secretary.

Fitzwater earned a bachelor’s of journalism in 1965. He worked for various newspapers during his career, including the Topeka Capital-Journal, Manhattan Mercury and the Collegian. During this year, Fitzwater was honored as the Outstanding Male Journalism Graduate.

“Marlin Fitzwater is a political figure that I and millions of other Americans remember well throughout some of our nation’s biggest historical moments,” President Kirk Schulz said to K-State News and Communications Services. “We want to honor his distinguished career in both Kansas media and national media as well as his ties to Kansas State University, wherein he returned as a speaker for the Landon Lecture series in 1996. It is through the leadership of such distinguished alumni that will help Kansas State University be recognized as a Top 50 public research university by 2025.”

Presentation of the honor will be during the Graduate School graduation on Dec. 11. Fitzwater will also be the commencement speaker.

Homeland Security offers donation in support of Think and Do competition for NBAF

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security will support a $100,000 prize as part of the Think and Do challenge to help the National Bio and Agro-defense Facility. The competition will reward new ideas that promote and protect the agriculture industry.

The challenge launched Sept. 30 and will remain open until Nov. 30. Any citizen, registered U.S. company or permanent resident are allowed to enter the competition. The $100,000 will be split among several winners; the minimum prize is $15,000.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for groups on campus or groups in the community to come forward with their ideas with respect to how they might work with NBAF,” Marty Vanier, the director of partnership development for NBAF, said to K-State News and Communications Services said. “It’s a great opportunity even for small companies to share their ideas with respect to technology they think might be useful to NBAF.”

According to Vanier, competitions such as the Think and Do challenge are not uncommon. The America COMPETES Act of 2007 allows such competitions and government awards to promote research.

K-State professor studying parents’ influence on kids playing violent video games

Doug Walker, assistant professor of marketing, published research studying parents’ influence on children playing violent video games, according to K-State Today. Parents’ emotions and anxiety can influence the amount of violent video games played by their children.

Walker researched three elements of parenting styles and the amount of violent video games played by children. He surveyed 237 children between 8-12 years of age. Parents also participated in the survey.

Results determined that parents that were more involved in game choice had children who played less violent games than parents who were restrictive in video game choice. The research is titled, “Parenting Orientations as Antecedents of Children’s Violent Videogame Play.”

Jamie Teixeira
My name is Jamie Teixeira and I am a senior English and journalism with a minor in Leadership. I am the president of Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society, a tutor at the K-State Writing Center,and a member of the K-State Tap Dance Ensemble. My future plans are to become an editor or publisher of children's literature. Outside of school I love to read and cuddle with my kitten, Bert.