Shut-out streak broken by Sooners in blowout

1
316
Freshman corner back Duke Shelley hangs his head dejected that K-State still hasn't scored a single point in the fourth quarter of the Wildcats' 55-0 shutout to the No. 19 Oklahoma Sooners Oct. 17, 2015, in Bill Snyder Family Stadium. Saturday's match up, which was expected to be a close game between the Sooners and Wildcats, instead saw the Wildcats shutout for the first time since 1996, and was the worst home shutout K-State has ever experienced, dating back to the beginning of the football program in 1896. (Parker Robb | The Collegian)

There was not much to say after K-State’s 55-0 loss to No. 19 Oklahoma.

“I think all of us are embarrassed,” head coach Bill Snyder said. “I cannot remember being involved in a game like this since 1989 in the first year that we were here. I do not even know if we had one that bad during that first go around.”

The Wildcats were shut out for the first time since 1996, and they were shut out at home for the first time since 1991.

“It’s disappointing; that’s a big word for it,” K-State senior wide receiver and backup quarterback Kody Cook said. “You’re angry, you’re disappointed and it’s frustrating. Obviously we didn’t expect to get shut out; we thought we had a good game plan. We just didn’t play to what we are capable of.”

K-State put up only 110 yards of total offense compared to 568 by the Sooners.

The Wildcats waited until their third drive to run the ball at all and their fourth drive to give the ball to a running back.

The Wildcats punted twice in that span and saw junior quarterback Joe Hubener’s pass picked off by Sooners.

Hubener ended up going 4-14 with 39 yards through the air with 16 yards rushing.

Meanwhile, while K-State was finding nothing through the air, Oklahoma excelled.

“They just got people in position to throw the ball to, which means we did not cover well and it is pretty much that simple,” Snyder said. “I think the defensive schemes are designed to be able to defend against whatever you put out there, and we did not. We will just have to play the schemes better.”

Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield ended up with a stellar day, going 20-27 for 282 yards and five touchdowns through the air to accompany 33 yards on the ground.

The other two Sooner drives stalled out, however, due in part to a strong pass rush by the K-State defense, forcing two sacks and two punts.

On the fourth K-State drive, the Wildcats found their running backs and drove their way down the field with help from a stellar 31-yard catch by Cook. A missed 32-yard field goal from senior Jack Cantele, however, kept Oklahoma at a 14-0 lead.

The Sooners came out passing after that and, once again, in under a minute and a half, they found the end zone on a 28-yard Mayfield pass to Sterling Shepard, his second touchdown catch of the day.

Shepard ended his day with 83 yards receiving and two touchdowns on four receptions.

K-State defense applied its pass rush again and forced the Sooner offense into a fourth-and-2, but a 28-yard Mayfield scramble set the Sooners up for their fourth touchdown of the half, a three-yard pass to Mark Andrews to put Oklahoma up 28-0.

K-State would allow the Sooners excellent field position again as Hubener threw his second pick of the game, setting up Mayfield’s fifth touchdown pass of the half to give Oklahoma a 35-0 lead.

Cook would take over the quarterback duties on the ensuing drive.

“Anything we could do to try to get some movement,” Snyder said. “We hit less than a hundred yards of offense, so we had to try something. Kody (Cook) has performed quite well in his previous stints there. We had to try to do something.”

While they would see one first down and almost get the ball to midfield, the offense fizzled out, once again forcing a K-State punt.

Oklahoma would run the clock out to end the damage at 35-0 at the half.

The Sooners out-gained the Wildcats 317 to 80 yards in the first half.

K-State received the ball to start the second half and came out passing once again. Cook was intercepted by Zach Sanchez and had that ball taken to the end zone, extending the Sooner lead to 42-0.

Cook ended up with six yards off of 1-8 passing with one interception.

K-State’s defense showed some signs of life on the next two Oklahoma’s drives of the half, putting up two impressive goal-line stands to hold Oklahoma to two field goals, making the score 48-0.

After another stalled drive ended with a punt, Oklahoma drove their way down the field, helped largely by a 34-yard pass to Daniel Brooks from backup quarterback Trevor Knight.

After several more runs, OU running back Joe Mixon rushed his way into the end zone for his second touchdown of the day, his first on the ground, extending the Sooner lead to 55-0.

The bleeding would end after that, as the ball would be transferred before the two teams several times with no one scoring.

K-State will hit the road next week to take on the Texas Longhorns in Austin.

“Once again it is how you are going to respond,” Snyder said. “It is kind of one of those things that happens in life. You can cash it in, or make something positive out of it in regards to motivation. We need to improve and play with greater spirit, and do a better job with coaching. There are all kinds of things depending on if you are willing to do that, and hopefully we will do that and take the steps to do so.”

Tim Everson was born in Wichita, KS in 1994. Before fifth grade he moved up to Manhattan for one year before settling in Riley, KS where he graduated from Riley County High School in 2012. Tim has worked for the Collegian since spring of 2014 and took over as Sports Editor during the summer of 2015. Tim loves sports, music, movies and good food when he can get it.