Top 10 finishes for K-State in final meet before Big 12 Championship

0
118
Kayla Doll, sophomore, runs alongside teammates during an early morning cross country practice at Frank Anneberg Park on Oct. 8, 2015. (File Photo by Cassandra Nguyen | The Collegian)

The K-State men and women cross country teams participated in the Bradley “Pink” Classic in Peoria, Illinois at the Newman Golf Course on Friday. This was their final meet before the Big 12 Championships.

The women chalked up a top-five finish, taking fourth while the men placed 10th. The women participated in a field of 30 teams while the men ran in a field of 27 teams.

For the men, sophomore Colton Donahue led the way for the Wildcats with a 24th place finish and a time of 24:29. Junior Jeffrey Bachman was the second Wildcat to complete the race, taking 47th on a time of 24:57.

Another notable Wildcat finisher was freshman Joe Gorthy, who placed 115th with a time of 25:38.

“Gorthy did not have his best race today,” head coach Ryun Godfrey said to K-State Sports. “He is a freshman so he will get much more consistent over time.”

On the women’s side, junior Morgan Wedekind led the way once again, as she recorded her third top-five finish of the season.

She placed fifth overall on a time of 20:33. Following her closely was senior Paige Stratioti, who placed 11th with a time of 20:56.

Behind those two was 33rd-placed sophomore Kayla Doll, who finished with a time of 21:23.

“Our top-three racers on the women’s side were solid,” Godfrey said to K-State Sports. “Emma Wren had a difficult last mile, but she is a fighter and did a good job just finishing. Jenny McCarty was too conservative today, but she will get better.”

The women are looking more than ready for the Big 12 Championships. The men, however, are still looking for that big performance, which hopefully will come at the Big 12 Championships.

“We are getting better,” Godfrey said to K-State Sports. “I believe we can do better with our second through fifth runners on the men’s side. I would give us a ‘B’ for the race today; I am still looking for that ‘A’ performance.”

As for the overall first place finishes, UNA-Creighton’s Garrett Kenyon took the top spot in the men’s division with a time of 23:48. The first place in the women’s division was taken by Amber Eichkorn of South Dakota, who recorded a 20:12.

As for teams, Illinois State took first place on the women’s side while the University of Illinois won on the men’s side.

The Wildcats’ next outing will be Oct. 31 at the Big 12 Championships in Stillwater, Oklahoma.