Fall portion of women’s golf season ends in 11th place

0
21
Madison Talley, junior, watchers her line after stroking the ball on the green of hole 14 at Colbert Hills on Oct. 13, 2015 during a team practice. (File Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

The first day of the Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invite did not end well for K-State and the team sat at 11th place out of 14 teams. The second day was targeted as a day of improvement, but this was not the case and the Wildcats finished the tournament Tuesday still in 11th place.

The Wildcats put together a team score of 301 in the final round at the University of Texas Golf Club in Austin, Texas. The 301 combined with yesterday’s total score of 600 to finish the tournament with a 37-over-par 901.

“We did not play up to our standards that we set in practice,” head coach Kristi Knight said to K-State Sports. “In a field this strong it is vital to get four solid scores, and we were not able to do that. We look forward to spring season and continuing our efforts to improve as a team.”

Junior Madison Talley was the top individual finisher at the tournament for the Wildcats. She entered Tuesday’s round in a tie for 28th place at 4-over par. Her third round score of 76 dropped her to a tie for 31st place at 8-over par for the entire tournament.

Not far behind Talley was sophomore Connie Jaffrey. She improved on her scores from yesterday with an even-par round of 72, and she finished the tournament at 9-over par in a tie for 35th place, a tie that also included Wildcat freshman Chloe Weir.

Weir came into the final round sitting in 36th place. On Tuesday, she carded a score of 76, which put her tournament score at 9-over par and allowed her to climb one spot into the tie for 35th place.

Junior Katherine Gravel-Coursol scored 75 in both rounds on Monday, but she struggled through her final round on Tuesday, scoring a 10-over-par 82. The round dropped Gravel-Coursol from 39th to a tie for 53rd.

Wildcat senior Scotland Preston was the final competitor on the scoreboard for K-State. She scored 77 in Tuesday’s round and finished in a tie for 55th place at 17-over par.

The Besty Rawls Longhorn Invite wrapped up the fall season for the K-State women’s golf team, which will not compete again until the spring season. The next tournament for the Wildcats will be the Florida State Match-Up on Feb. 12-14, 2016 at Southwood Golf Club in Tallahassee, Florida.