Focus has turned on Texas to end K-State’s losing streak

0
130
Junior quarterback Joe Hubener looks to pass during the football game between OU and K-State on Oct. 17, 2015 in Bill Snyder Family Stadium. (File Photo by George Walker | The Collegian)

It’s tough to stay positive when your team gets shut out 55-0 in front of a home crowd. It’s even more challenging when that loss was part of a three-game losing streak.

It is also hard to keep fans engaged in the game when you only give them seven first downs and 110 total offensive yards and manage to not score a single point for the first time in 234 consecutive games.

“The whole team is upset about what happened Saturday,” junior quarterback Joe Hubener said at Tuesday’s press conference. “That was embarrassing. That’s not something that we want to do.”

Hubener said his confidence wavered during the Oklahoma game. Combined with senior Kody Cook, K-State’s quarterbacks completed five of 22 passes for 45 yards.

“I can’t dwell on that,” Hubener said. “I have to put it behind me and know that the team has shown that we can be successful. I have shown that I can be successful and we have to put it together. I have to forget about what happened on Saturday and focus on practice.”

Hubener’s teammates are rallying behind him.

“It is a team thing and you cannot blame anything in the past on him,” Terrale Johnson, junior offensive lineman, said. “We all have to execute our jobs. Even though we have lost these past two games, he has done a good job. We are not hanging our heads on Joe or anything; it is just a team thing.”

Junior linebacker Will Davis said the team held a players-only meeting following the Oklahoma game. According to Hubener, this was the second time this season the team has had one of these meetings. The first one was held before the Oklahoma State game.

“We needed to get things out in the open,” Hubener said. “It was very positive. It was more just letting our feelings out there without coaches being there and really just expressing what we see as the things we need to change.”

Davis said he agreed the players-only meetings have a positive effect on the team.

“It’s a different perspective when it comes from a player,” Davis said. “It gets through to some guys differently than others.”

Johnson also said he agreed the players-only meeting helped the team stay on the right track.

“It’s more like a positive thing to make sure everyone keeps rolling,” Johnson said.

The practice following the players meeting was focused and productive.

“We were angry,” Davis said. “You could see that on the practice field. Guys were extremely focused on trying to get better.”

Davis said the team is ready to win again.

“A lot of guys are hungry,” Davis said. “We are getting ready for Texas, and that is about it right now.”