Big 12 Power Rankings week 7: Offense

1
82
Oklahoma University quarterback Baker Mayfield looks to pass during the football game between OU and K-State on Oct. 17, 2015 in Bill Snyder Family Stadium. (George Walker | The Collegian)

1. Seth Russell, QB, Baylor (10)

Russell dethrones Boykin of his No. 1 spot after his big-time performance versus West Virginia. The Bears won 62-38 as Russell recorded 20 completions on 33 passes for 380 yards in the air and five passing touchdowns. Russell also did work on the ground, putting up 160 yards on 14 carries for one touchdown.

2. Trevone Boykin, QB, TCU (1)

Boykin falls in this week’s rankings, not necessarily because of anything he did, but rather because of Russell’s brilliance. Boykin still managed 436 yards in the air and completed 27 of 32 passes for four touchdowns as his Horned Frogs toppled the Iowa State Cyclones 45-21. Boykin also ran for 74 yards and one touchdown.

3. Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor (8)

Coleman consistently shows out for the Bears and is no newcomer to the top 10. He made waves once again as he caught 10 passes for 199 yards and three touchdowns against the West Virginia Mountaineers.

4. Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma (unranked)

Baker Mayfield showed his prowess by leading his Sooners to an utter demolition of K-State. He easily blew out the Wildcats 55-0, completing 20 of his 27 passes for 282 yards and five touchdowns in the air.

5. Josh Doctson, WR, TCU (2)

Doctson, who might be playing on Sundays after this year, had another big week. He caught 10 passes for 190 yards and two touchdowns against Iowa State. Look for more of the same as his Horned Frogs play the West Virginia Mountaineers on Oct. 29.

6. Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma (unranked)

Sterling Shepard was Mayfield’s top wideout in OU’s obliteration of K-State. Though he caught just four passes, he was responsible for 83 yards and two touchdowns.

7. Mike Warren, WR, Iowa State (9)

Mike Warren, Iowa State’s freshman phenom, might just be the Cyclones’ bright spot in what has been a tough season in Ames. Warren rushed for 78 yards and a touchdown on 22 carries in a loss to TCU.

8. Kolby Listenbee, WR, TCU (unranked)

Listenbee, a newcomer to the list, certainly deserves to be here. He caught six passes for 101 yards and a touchdown against Iowa State. I’ll be interested to see if he has more games like this.

9. Skyler Howard, QB, West Virginia (unranked)

Howard’s Mountaineers came up short against the Baylor Bears, but he still had a quality individual performance. He threw 37 passes, completing 18 of them for 289 yards and four touchdowns.

10. DeAndre Washington, RB, Texas Tech (unranked)

DeAndre Washington, another newcomer to the list, led his Red Raiders to a tight victory over the Kansas Jayhawks. Washington ran for 157 yards and a touchdown on 23 carries.