News Briefs

0
62

Manhattan City Commission approves new ordinances

Three new ordinances were approved at the City Commission meeting Tuesday. The three laws, 7168-7170 will go into effect on Sunday.

Ordinance 7168 approves the continuation of levying business improvement service fees for the Aggieville Business Improvement District for 2016.

The second law approved, ordinance 7169, approved a similar service fee for businesses in the Downtown Business Improvement District.

Ordinance 7170 amended a current plan for development of the city of Manhattan. The amendment included the Hartford Hill Master Plan. The amendment calls for guidance in developing city sites with issues such as drainage and utility services, land use and access.

K-State Marching Band to host annual marching festival

Over 40 high school marching bands will compete in the Central States Marching Festival Saturday.

The 29th annual festival includes competitors from Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma, according to a press release from K-State News and Communications Services.

High school bands will spend the morning working with Pride of Wildcat Land members before competing in the evening.

Professor named interim director of K-State Beef Cattle Institute

Brad White, associate professor of production medicine, was appointed interim director of the K-State Beef Cattle Institute.

“We are pleased Dr. White has accepted the interim position of guiding the Beef Cattle Institute,” Tammy Beckham, dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine, said to K-State News and Communications Services. “He already has strong relationships in the beef industry and is highly sought as an expert for continuing education conferences, industry workshops and international symposia in production and cow-calf medicine.”

White said he is excited to work for an internationally respected program in the industry.

“The Beef Cattle Institute at K-State is an excellent program for the university and the beef industry,” White said to K-State News and Communications Services. “I am excited about this opportunity and look forward to continuing the great work done by the BCI.”

Kansas county commissioner rejects interview with bilingual reporter

A county commissioner allegedly defamed a reporter of a regional television station by calling her an “advocate for people living in the country illegally,” according to the Associated Press.

Richard Ranzau, Sedgwick County Commission chairman, reportedly refused to answer questions during an interview from Beatriz Parres, bilingual reporter for KWCH and KDCU.

According to an Oct. 21 Associated Press article, Ranzau said he thinks the reporter advocates for people living in the U.S. illegally; however, he agreed to talk to another reporter from KWCH.

Ranzau said to AP that he will speak to legitimate reporters about news but not someone posing as a journalist.

Brian Gregory, KWCH news director, denied Parres’s involvement in advocacy groups, but said rather she is a journalist who covers many advocacy group events, according to AP.

“It’s unfortunate that an elected public official would make such baseless comments about a journalist,” Gregory said to AP. “I am disappointed that Commissioner Ranzau has chosen to defame one of our employees.”

Jamie Teixeira
My name is Jamie Teixeira and I am a senior English and journalism with a minor in Leadership. I am the president of Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society, a tutor at the K-State Writing Center,and a member of the K-State Tap Dance Ensemble. My future plans are to become an editor or publisher of children's literature. Outside of school I love to read and cuddle with my kitten, Bert.