Iowa bound K-State tennis teams looks to rebound

0
30

The K-State women’s tennis team looks to bounce back after a rather underwhelming performance at the ITA Regional Championship last weekend at the Greenwood Tennis Center in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

The squad hopes for a bright performance as they travel to Des Moines, Iowa for the Drake Jamboree at the Roger Knapp Tennis Center on Friday.

The Wildcats expect some solid competition from teams such as Drake, Illinois State, Iowa and Iowa State.

Team stars Sara Castellano, Iva Bago, Carolina Costamagna and freshman Ana Garcia Navas all look to shine after coming up short at the ITA Championships.

Castellano, Costamagna and Garcia Navas were eliminated in the round of 32 while Bago was eliminated in her opening match.

The Wildcats will be competing against the likes of an Iowa team who also could not advance past the round of 32 at the ITA Championships, a Drake team who featured an ITA consolation bracket finalist and an Illinois State team who brought home three championship bracket titles at the season-opening Bradley invitational along with three championship titles the following weekend at the Missouri Valley Conference Individual Championships.

Iowa women’s tennis made an appearance at the ITA regional championships but, just like the Wildcats, could not quite advance past the round of 32. Anastasia Reimchen, the lone Hawkeye in the round of 32, was eliminated by Saana Saarteinen of Tulsa 6-1, 6-4.

As for the Drake Bulldogs, Maddie Johnson is the star on the squad. She managed an appearance in the final of the consolation bracket, only to fall short as she lost to Guilia Guidetti of Wichita State 6-4, 6-0.

The Illinois State Redbirds feature senior Kadi Ilves, junior Marcia Tere-Apisah, and sophomore Valerija Gercar.

Ilves enters the Drake Jamboree with a 4-1 overall singles record while Gercar heads into the weekend with a 5-1 overall singles record.

The doubles team of Ilves and Tere-Apisah look to show out at the jamboree as they boast an undefeated record of 6-0. In fact, their most recent win came against against Drake’s Maddie Johnson and Adrienne Jensen in the doubles finals at the Mountain Valley Conference individual championships.

The tournament starts at 10 a.m. on Friday and 9 a.m. on both Saturday and Sunday. Both indoor and outdoor courts will be used throughout the weekend in Des Moines.