K-State out-paced by Texas in first half

0
55
Junior quarterback Joe Hubener makes a pass to junior running back Charles Jones during the first quarter of the football game between K-State and Texas in Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin, Texas on Oct. 24, 2015. (Cassandra Nguyen | The Collegian)

The rain may be plentiful down in Austin but K-State’s offense seemed all but dried out in the first half as the Longhorns ran by the Wildcats, leading 16-6.

Texas got on the board first after a promising drive was slowed in the redzone forcing Longhorn kicker Nick Rose kick a 28 yard field goal to put Texas up 3-0.

The Longhorns ran the ball every play on that first drive, a pattern that would serve them well as they racked up 188 yards rushing in the first half compared to only 64 yards by K-State.

After a stalled Wildcat drive forced K-State punter Nick Walsh to punt his second punt of the half, the Longhorns, led by the quick legs of quarterback Jerrod Heard, Texas made they’re way into their red zone again.

Back-up quarterback Tyrone Swoops would power his way through into the end zone to Texas a 10-0 lead.

It was nearly the same story on Texas’s next drive as Longhorn running back Malcolm Brown broke free for a 46 yard run before being run out-of-bounds at the 2 yard line.

Texas once again trotted their 6’4″ 244 pound back-up quarterback and once again found pay dirt for his second touchdown of the half.

Texas would muff the snap of their extra point but would regain their special teams good fortune as they would recover a live ball off K-State on the kick-off to set up shop on K-State’s 27 yard line.

The Wildcats defense would help it’s offense regain the ball as they stuffed Heard on a one yard sneak on fourth down to force the turnover on downs.

K-State would finally find the knack on offense and drive it all the way down, with the help of a costly Longhorn pass interference penalty, and get into the end zone connecting on a 7 yard touchdown pass from junior quarterback Joe Hubener to freshman wide receiver Dominique Heath.

Hubener would end the half going 6-8 for 61 yards and a touchdown along with 32 yards on the ground.

They would be unsuccessful on the two point conversion cutting the Texas lead to 10 at the half.

Tim Everson was born in Wichita, KS in 1994. Before fifth grade he moved up to Manhattan for one year before settling in Riley, KS where he graduated from Riley County High School in 2012. Tim has worked for the Collegian since spring of 2014 and took over as Sports Editor during the summer of 2015. Tim loves sports, music, movies and good food when he can get it.