Offensive incompetencies ruin Wildcat’s comeback

0
333
K-State Junior wide receiver Deante Burton reacts to Texas safety Dylan Haines' interception as Texas center back Duke Thomas helps Haines up during the football game between K-State and Texas at Darrell K. Royal–Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin, TX on Oct. 24, 2015. The Wildcats were defeated by the Longhorns 9-23. (George Walker | The Collegian)

The rain may be plentiful down in Austin but K-State’s offense seemed all but dried out as the Texas took advantage of K-State offensive ineptitude, beating the Wildcats 23-9.

Out of 11 total drives, K-State only scored on two of them, only one of which was a touchdown.

Texas got on the board first after a promising drive was slowed in the red zone forcing Longhorn kicker Nick Rose kick a 28 yard field goal to put Texas up 3-0.

The Longhorns ran the ball every play on that first drive, a pattern that would serve them well as they racked up 274 yards rushing in the game compared to only 99 yards by K-State.

After a stalled Wildcat drive forced K-State punter Nick Walsh to punt his second punt of the half, the Longhorns, led by the quick legs of quarterback Jerrod Heard, Texas made they’re way into their red zone again.

Back-up quarterback Tyrone Swoops would power his way through into the end zone to Texas a 10-0 lead.

Swoops was dominant in the red zone rushing for only 50 yards but scoring all three of the Longhorns touchdowns.

It was nearly the same story on Texas’s next drive as Longhorn running back Malcolm Brown broke free for a 46 yard run before being run out-of-bounds at the 2 yard line.

Texas once again trotted their 6’4″ 244 pound back-up quarterback and found pay dirt for his second touchdown of the half.

Texas would muff the snap of their extra point but would regain their special teams good fortune as they would recover a live ball off K-State on the kick-off to set up shop on K-State’s 27 yard line.

The Wildcats defense would help it’s offense regain the ball as they stuffed Heard on a one yard sneak on fourth down to force a turnover on downs.

K-State would finally find the knack on offense and drive it all the way down, with the help of a costly Longhorn pass interference penalty, and get into the end zone connecting on a 7 yard touchdown pass from junior quarterback Joe Hubener to freshman wide receiver Dominique Heath.

Hubener would end the game 10-22 for 97 yards and a touchdown along with 53 yards on the ground.

They would be unsuccessful on the two point conversion, cutting the Texas lead to only 10.

The defense would find their stride in the start of the first half, forcing the Longhorns into six consecutive punts to start off the half spanning all of the way through the third quarter and into the fourth.

K-State capitalized after the second Texas punt as they drove down the field led, mostly, by junior running back Charles Jones.

Jones had several moderate runs for under 5 yards before he broke off a 19 yard run, getting K-State down to the 24.

Jones would end up being the bright spot for the K-State offense, rushing for 122 yards to become the second player to rush for 100 yards this season.

The Wildcats would eventually be stood up at the 19, setting up senior kicker Jack Cantele for a 36 yard field goal to make it a one possession game.

After several more stops by the K-State defense, the Wildcats had a chance to tie it up with a little over four minutes left.

Back-up quarterback Kody Cook, who was in for Hubener after he went down on the previous possession on a quarterback sneak, found senior wide receiver Andre Davis for a 10 yard pass.

Hubener returned on the next play and after throwing a incompletion to Cook, lofted a easy interception to Longhorn Dylan Haines.

Texas would return to their rushing ways as Swoops would find his way into the end zone on a 10 yards run for a third time this game after two straight runs for 10+ yard before it.

K-State would get the ball once again with a minute and a half to figure perform a miracle but it would be nothing doing.

After the 23-9 loss, K-State drops to 3-4 and 0-4 in the Big 12 this season. It is the first time since 2001 that they’ve started off the season 0-4 against conference opponents.

They have next week off before welcoming No. 2 Baylor into Manhattan for a Thursday night match-up.

Timothy Everson
Tim Everson was born in Wichita, KS in 1994. Before fifth grade he moved up to Manhattan for one year before settling in Riley, KS where he graduated from Riley County High School in 2012. Tim has worked for the Collegian since spring of 2014 and took over as Sports Editor during the summer of 2015. Tim loves sports, music, movies and good food when he can get it.