Men’s golf takes eighth at final outing

0
18

Through the first day of the Bridgestone Golf Collegiate, K-State men’s golf shot team scores of 296 and 285. That added up for a total of 581 and put them at 5-over par and in ninth place of 13 teams in Greensboro, North Carolina for this fall season finale. On Monday’s final round, the Wildcats shot a 294 and finished the tournament at 11-over par and in eighth place on the par-72 Grandover Resort East Course.

“We played better today, however we just dug ourselves too deep of a hole yesterday to really move up much,” head coach Grant Robbins said to K-State sports. “It was a disappointing way to end the fall, but we have made some progress.”

Junior Matt Green shot an even-par 72 on his first 18 and then birdied his second 18, which tied him for 21st after one day. On his final round he shot a 2-over-par 74 and finished tied for 20th at 1-over par.

In his first outing for K-State, junior Jack Rickabaugh carded a 4-over-par 76 on his first 18 but came back with an even-par 72 on the second 18. His birdie on Monday was good enough to propel him to finishing in a tie for 28th after being in 43rd after the first day.

Sophomore Oscar Spolander struggled in his first 18 as he shot a 6-over-par 78. But it was the second 18 where Spolander rallied and shot a 2-under-par 70 to finish at 4-over. He shot a 2-over-par 74 on Monday to finish at 6-over and tied for 35th place.

Freshman Jeremy Gandon and senior Kyle Weldon both finished the tournament in a tie for 41st place. Gandon shot a 4-over-par 76 on his first 18 holes, but he was even-par on the second 18. His final round on Monday was his worst of the tournament, however, as he shot a 3-over-par 75.

Weldon’s Sunday rounds featured scores of 72 and 74, respectively. The total of 146 was good enough to put him at a tie for 34th after the first day. He fell to the tie for 41st after his final round of 77.

K-State will not be competing again until the spring season, which begins on Feb. 22, 2016 in Mobile, Alabama at the Mobile Bay Intercollegiate. Robbins said he was very pleased with the progress his team has made over the past year and that he is looking forward to continuing the improvement for the spring season.

“We are much better than we were a year ago, but in order to be nationally competitive, we have a long way to go,” Robbins said to K-State Sports. “We got a chance to play against two top-20 teams this week and saw firsthand how much better we need to get. Hopefully this week serves as motivation for each player to put in the work necessary in the offseason to improve. We have potential to be a good team, but we need everyone buying in and working to get better.”