Thursday News Briefs

0
106

Act cosponsored by Kansas senator sent on to White House

According to a release from the office of Jerry Moran, Kansas senator and member of the U.S. Senate Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, the State Senate unanimously passed Moran’s Wounded Warriors Federal Leave Act in July.

The act insures that veterans with disabilities (rating 30 percent or more) can get necessary medical care by giving first-year federal government employees with service-related disabilities 104 hours of sick leave.

The act was cosponsored by Moran and Montana Sen. Jon Tester.

“Wounded veterans should have the opportunity to take time off from work and seek medical care without penalty to their paycheck and livelihood,” Moran said.

Currently, first-year government workers receive four hours of sick leave per period of pay, leaving some disabled veterans who have not accumulated needed hours with insufficient time of leave and no option but to take unpaid sick days, according to Moran’s release.

The bipartisan Wounded Warriors Federal Leave Act now awaits the president’s in the White House, according to the Little Apple Post.

Editor’s note: This news brief was updated on Oct. 30 to reflect updated information.

Fort Riley to hold welcoming ceremony for new officer

Patrick Frank will be formally welcomed as deputy commanding officer by Fort Riley and the 1st Infantry Division with a Victory with Honors ceremony in Fort Riley’s Victory Park on Friday at 2:30 p.m., according to Little Apple Post.

The ceremony will include the 1st Infantry Division Band, the Commanding General’s Mounted Color Guard and the firing of ceremonial cannons.

Frank took position as the deputy commanding officer on Sept. 8. He served previously as executive officer to the commander, International Security Assistance Force/Resolute Support; head of operations for the “Big Red One” and commander of 1st Battalion, 28th Infantry, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division.

RCPD investigates aggravated assault near MHS

According to a report filed by the Riley County Police Department, information given to the RCPD implied that an aggravated assault occurred in the 2100 block of Poyntz Avenue on Monday around 1 p.m.

This incident reportedly occurred when the suspect, a 33-year-old female known to the victim, wielded a pocket knife for a brief time during a “nonphysical altercation” with a juvenile male.

Police are currently engaged in a process of confirming these claims.

Hey there! I'm Danielle Cook. I'm currently a freshman in journalism and mass communications. I live for telling true stories, so I hope to be doing it for the rest of my life. Luckily, I also live for late nights and early mornings – as long as there's coffee and I'm in good company.