From the sports desk: Will K-State make a bowl game?

0
217

The Collegian sports staff gives their input on whether or not K-State will be bowling for a sixth straight year.

Tim Everson, junior in mass communications

“If the Wildcats have to get to six wins, the answer is no. As of now, with what we’ve seen from this K-State offense, I don’t see three wins from them.

Iowa State, win. Kansas, win. Baylor, Texas Tech or West Virginia, I’m not so sure.

I just can’t, in good conscience, count on this team to get an upset against three offenses that are more than capable at putting up points, lots of points.

Having said that, I haven’t quite answered the question. I don’t think that K-State will get six wins; however, to get to a bowl game, they may not have to.

Every once in a blue moon, the state of college football is such that there are not enough six plus win teams to fill all of the spots in the different bowl games.

That’s where a K-State, a team that has several close losses versus top-25 programs, might come in. This year is shaping up to be one of those years in which a few five-win teams might slip through the cracks.

To use the cliche, sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good, and K-State might get lucky in December, even if they only have five wins.”

Andrew Hammond, sophomore in mass communications

“Yes, the Wildcats will make a bowl game. Look, one good thing about this crazy death march is that the rest of K-State’s schedule is full of teams who are less than or equal to the talent level of K-State. Looking at this Wildcat team, they have the potential to play with the best in America; see what they’ve done against Oklahoma State and TCU? However, there are a few things that the Wildcats might want to straighten out before we expand on these bowl aspirations.

The only thing stopping the Wildcats is the constant struggles of their offense. Through four games, the Wildcats sit at the bottom of the conference in total offense and are near the bottom in passing offense.

This just in, the remaining opponents, aside from Baylor, are sitting at the bottom of the Big 12 in passing defense, so if there was ever a time to get the offense moving, this would be it.

This K-State team will make a bowl game; there’s too much young talent and even will the injuries that have been suffered, they will be good enough to play in December or early January to kickstart a promising 2016 campaign.”

Liz Heath, sophomore in mass communications

“As an optimist I like to think nothing is impossible, even when all hope is lost. Maybe I get it from watching the Kansas City Royals over the postseason.

K-State’s football team has been on an unpredictable roller coaster ride this season with twists, turns, peaks and drops where you’d least expect them. Right now, it may seem like the team is dropping straight down on an unending track and quickly spiraling out of control.

K-State is currently plagued with injuries, and a group of young players is having to step into leadership roles with little to no experience. But if there’s one thing the wild and crazy world of sports has taught us, it is that the odds don’t always add up.

There is no predicting when the right player will have their “a-ha!” moment and make that momentum-changing play that will propel the Wildcats into the postseason. There’s no telling if an enlightening moment will happen at all. But with the back half of this Big 12 schedule looking much more manageable then the first half, I wouldn’t count the Wildcats out of the bowl game conversation just yet.

That being said, I also wouldn’t completely rule out scheduling a ‘Plan B’ skiing vacation to the mountains, either.”

Chris Robinson, junior in mass communications

“I do think that K-State will make a bowl game.

This team is young and is gaining experience every game they go out there and play. Now they just need some confidence. The back end of the schedule gets easier for the Wildcats.

I would feel a lot better about the pick if they can steal a victory at Texas Tech or at home against Baylor; there would be less pressure going into the final game against West Virginia if they only beat Iowa State and KU.

I think the key for the rest of this season is to have huge crowds at Bill Snyder Family Stadium for the remaining home games.

That is always key for young teams, knowing they have the crowd behind them. That means K-State fans need to show up for the Baylor, Iowa State and West Virginia games and be loud to show the team they have our support and make a difference for this football team.

If you can also travel to Lawrence for the KU game and be loud and show support for them on the road, as well, I believe that this can help make a difference in whether or not K-State will make a bowl at the end of the season. Regardless if this team makes a bowl game, Wildcat fans should be excited for the future with the young talent this team has. There is definitely much upside that the younger players have.”

Tim Everson was born in Wichita, KS in 1994. Before fifth grade he moved up to Manhattan for one year before settling in Riley, KS where he graduated from Riley County High School in 2012. Tim has worked for the Collegian since spring of 2014 and took over as Sports Editor during the summer of 2015. Tim loves sports, music, movies and good food when he can get it.