Women to wrap up exhibition slate against Pitt State

0
58
Junior forward Breanna Lewis shoots over a defender on Nov. 2, 2015 at Bramlage Coliseum. The Cats won 75-48 against Washburn. (Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

The K-State women’s basketball team will match up against Pittsburg State on tonight at 7:00 p.m. in Bramlage Coliseum for the second of two exhibition games this year. The first happened on Nov. 2 with K-State topping the Ichabods of Washburn University by a score of 75-48.

The leader for K-State in the first game was junior center Breanna Lewis. In only 23 minutes of action against Washburn, Lewis went 11 of 14 from the floor and scored 22 points for the Wildcats. She also pulled down five rebounds and tallied three blocks against the Ichabods.

Senior Megan Deines also was big for the Wildcats in their first exhibition. Deines, who played her first game at K-State after transferring from Louisville, scored 16 points and stole the ball three times.

Pitt State played an exhibition against Kansas on Nov. 1 and lost the game 80-54. Both Lewis and Deines could potentially see big scoring numbers against a Gorillas defense that struggled to stop the Jayhawks from scoring at ease.

Pitt State is entering the 2015-16 season coming off of success from last year. In 2014-15, the Gorillas went 27-7 and finished ranked 16th in the NCAA Div. II coach’s poll. They went to the Division II tournament last year as well, which was the third time in the last four years that they have accomplished that feat.

Unlike K-State, who has six brand new faces on the team this year, Pitt State returns not only players with experience, but also leadership in those players. Three of the Gorillas’ top five scorers from last season are back for this year.

Kylie Gafford and Cathy Brugman are two of those three players. Last year, Gafford averaged 10.4 points and 5.6 rebounds per game. Brugman averaged 8.5 points and 3.9 rebounds per game.

A week ago, K-State started Kaylee Page, Megan Deines, Breanna Lewis, Kindred Wesemann and Shaleyn Martin. Pitt State’s starters in their first game were Mikaela Burgess, Kylie Gafford, Cathy Brugman, Paige Lungwitz and Hadyn Herlocker. We may likely see the same starting lineups for tonight’s game.

Tonight’s exhibition will be the last before the season officially starts for the Wildcats. They will travel to Tulsa, Oklahoma Nov. 13 to tipoff the season against Tulsa Golden Hurricanes.