Wednesday news briefs

0
49

RCPD announces increase in police presence

The Riley County Police Department announced that there will be increased security at large community events, according to its press release. The increase in security at such events will be determined by an undisclosed set of requirements. The press release said the heightened police presence is a caution, not a result of danger.

“A conscious decision has been made by RCPD to provide additional resources at some of these events to include an increase in visible police presence,” Josh Kyle, patrol commander for RCPD, said in the press release. “This increase in personnel at events is intended to improve safety and security.”

The Veterans Day Parade today will have an increased presence of officers, but this is not as a result of a threat. Police will enforce no parking sections and encourage attendees to only carry bags and backpacks that are necessary.

Swine research update says adding amino acids is beneficial

K-State researchers found that adding amino acids to swine feed improves health, specifically muscles. These additives also reduce costs of production and lessen the farm’s impact on the environment, according to K-State News and Communications Services.

“It’s an area that people have worked on for a lot of years and we are continuing to refine the use of amino acids in swine feed through our research program,” Mike Tokach, professor of animal sciences and industry, said to K-State News and Communications Services.

Tokach said that soybeans and corn, sources of amino acids, are good for swine but do not meet the needs of the animals. Researchers add amino acids to swine diets so that pigs receive the amounts that they need.

“We don’t have to use as much soybean meal or the more expensive protein sources, such as fish meal, to give the pig what it needs,” Tokach said to K-State News and Communications Services. “If we know what a pig’s requirement is, we can use a different protein source and supplement with the correct amino acids.”

K-State scientists found that feeding fewer plant proteins to swine results in a decrease in nitrogen and ammonia. Reduced amounts of nitrogen and ammonia on a farm decreases its carbon footprint.

K-State to host first TEDxMHK talk.

The first TEDxMHK talk will be held Feb. 1, 2016. “Fueling Human Existence,” the conference theme, will bring together people from all over Manhattan to talk about technology, science and more, according to K-State News and Communications Services.

K-State teamed up with the Union Program Council and the Office of the President to bring the talk to Manhattan. TED is a nonprofit that shares ideas “worth spreading.” The TEDx program is a localized, self-organized version of the official TED talks.

“We are having the first TEDxMHK so people from our community can enjoy and experience the TEDx atmosphere where ‘ideas worth spreading’ will be shared,” Márcio Goncalves, TEDxMHK curator and 2015 doctoral graduate in veterinary medicine, said to K-State News and Communications Services. “The local community has so much to share regarding fueling human existence through top-notch knowledge related to technology, agriculture and science. Uniting these ideas at a central event allows this knowledge not only to spread regionally for those present, but also worldwide through the Internet.”

Tickets for the talk will be for sale online on Dec. 1.

My name is Jamie Teixeira and I am a senior English and journalism with a minor in Leadership. I am the president of Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society, a tutor at the K-State Writing Center,and a member of the K-State Tap Dance Ensemble. My future plans are to become an editor or publisher of children's literature. Outside of school I love to read and cuddle with my kitten, Bert.