Women’s basketball survives scare in second exhibition

0
69
Junior guard Kindred Wesemann launches toward the basket in the game against Pitt State on Nov. 9, 2015 at Bramlage Coliseum. Wesemann brought in a total of 23 points in the last preseason game. (Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

The K-State women’s basketball team squared off against Pittsburg State University last night at Bramlage Coliseum and ended up getting the victory 58-50, despite a scare from the Gorillas.

Entering the game, K-State were looking to extend their record to 2-0 in the preseason after they opened their 2015-16 exhibition slate on Nov. 2, with a 75-48 win over Washburn University.

The biggest takeaway from this game was that it was not a victory to be pleased with.

“I thought Pitt State outplayed us, they obviously out-coached us,” head coach Jeff Mittie said. “The effort and aggressiveness was just not there. One of the things that I’ve always been most proud of was our effort. That’s one of the most concerning things about tonight is that our effort is not very good.”

Looking at the rebounding statistics, one could see why he was so disappointed. Pitt State recorded 39 total rebounds compared to K-State’s 30.

Even more surprising was the offensive rebounding numbers, as Pitt State grabbed 21 offensive boards versus K-State’s measly nine.

One of the bright spots for the Wildcats was junior guard Kindred Wesemann, as she led the second half’s comeback. She scored 19 points in the second half, finishing with 23 on 8-15 shooting from the field and 3-4 from the three point line. She would add three assists and four steals with just one turnover.

“I think Kindred was trying to get her teammates to play harder in the second half.” Mittie would add, “I saw good leadership out there with her, so those things please me the most.”

The Wildcats would also receive contributions from junior forward Breanna Lewis, who recorded 10 points on 5-8 shooting, including five rebounds, two assists, three blocks and a steal.

Lewis still struggled, however; as she would finish the game with five turnovers. The Pitt State defense double-teamed Lewis all game and she clearly succumbed to the pressure.

“I did not feel like she was aggressive enough, I did not feel like she was demanding the basketball,” Mittie said. “She was five of eight, and that’s not bad, but we would prefer to get her 12 or 13 shots and she has to get herself to the free-throw line.”

The K-State Wildcats look to start their regular season off on the right note, as they travel to play Tulsa this Friday, Nov 13.