Letter to the Editor: BSU … Why not ASU (All Student Organization)

3
418

Racial indiscretions have been a hot topic the past few days and it’s important to talk about them, no matter what your race might be. The protests at Mizzou have made an agenda clear when it comes to racism, but what happens now?

As the story in Missouri has continued to pan out, there continues to be a separation of race; mostly black versus white. This has been confronted on both sides of the fence and ultimately it has to stop.

The K-State Black Student Union has been working on a campaign to show that black equals beauty, which is also important to share, but why? I have gotten myself in trouble quite a bit this week when it comes to me sharing my perception of these situations.

I am well aware that as a white male I do probably garner more privileges than other races. On the flip side, there are people who have more privileges than I do because I am gay. What do I do?

There are LGBT communities at every university in which a gay person can become involved. They can choose to join that type of an organization where others surround them with similar qualities. The same goes for those in ethnic-specified organizations.

I know we aren’t where we should be in equality in the year 2015, but it’s our choices that make changes. I choose to not be involved in LGBT-types of organizations. I choose to get involved with other groups because I want to change people’s perceptions. Is it hard? Absolutely. I have to be vulnerable, and sometimes I’m the only gay person involved in these scenarios, but that is life. When we graduate, we will be exposed to cultures that don’t only cater to one specific type of people.

College is here to challenge us folks. I challenge every member of an inclusive organization to break down walls and join a group that is outside of your comfort zone. Who knows? You might be well on your way to changing the world.

Michael D. Higgins, senior in mass communications