Women’s basketball begins journey

0
102
Junior forward Jessica Sheble, sophomore forward Kaylee Page and senior guard Bri Craig cheer for their teammates in the game against Pitt State on Nov. 9, 2015 at Bramlage Coliseum. K-State won against Pittsburg State University 58-50. (Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

For sports teams across the country, the start of every new season brings excitement, hard work and hope. Whether you play high school, collegiate or even professional ball, everyone looks forward to each season’s first game.

The first game gives you a fresh start. It doesn’t matter what you did the year before. You could be the University of Connecticut, the team that won their third-straight women’s basketball national championship last season; or you could be like the Alabama women’s basketball team, which went 2-14 in Southeastern Conference play.

No matter who you are, you are confident that this is your year to be successful.

The K-State women’s basketball team begins their journey toward a hopefully successful season tonight in Tulsa, Oklahoma to tip off the program’s 48th season and take on the Tulsa Golden Hurricane.

Tulsa compiled an 18-14 record last season, which was its first winning season since the 2006 season. This record was good enough for them to make it to postseason play.

That season, the Golden Hurricane made it to the second round of the Women’s National Invitational Tournament before falling to Eastern Michigan 59-69.

Driving the ship for Tulsa is head coach Matilda Mossman, who currently sits on a 60-62 record during her time in Tulsa.

It is her early career achievements, however, that K-State fans might be interested in knowing.

Mossman is a former coach here at K-State. From 1984-90, she was the head coach of the Wildcats. She compiled an 83-68 record, reached the NCAA Tournament once and won the Big 8 conference regular season title in 1987.

K-State is entering the game fresh off their 2-0 start in exhibition play after defeating Washburn and Pittsburg State. The Wildcats enter this season opener with good history in the program, as they are 38-9 in season openers since 1968 and have won five straight.

The Wildcats will tip off against the Hurricane at 7 p.m.