Loss in Lubbock marks longest losing streak since 1989

0
293
Head coach Bill Snyder looks down at his notes before the game against Texas Tech on Nov. 14, 2015 at Jones AT&T Stadium in Lubbock, Texas. K-State lost a tough game against TTU with the score being 59-44. (Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

K-State dug a hole too big too climb out of again, falling to Texas Tech in Lubbock 59-44.

The loss marks six straight which is the longest losing streak for a K-State team since head coach Bill Snyder’s first season in 1989.

The first quarter was a historic one as Texas Tech, for the first time in a Big 12 game, scored 28 points in the first quarter.

The first quarter scoring assault by the Red Raiders was broken up breifly by a 93 yard kick-off return for a touchdown tying the game at 7-7. It would be the only time K-State would tie in the game.

Down, 28-7, the Wildcats would mount a comeback of sorts.

The Wildcats would score 14 points in the second quarter on two nearly identical 1 yard quarterback sneaks by junior Joe Hubener.

However, in between the two Hubener runs, a 19 yard pass from Red Raider quarterback Patrick Mahomes to wide receiver Devin Lauderdale would end up giving Tech a two touchdown lead going into the half.

The Wildcats would recieve to start the half but the offense stalled out after a delay of game penalty forced K-State to punt.

However, Hubener and company wouldn’t have to sit on the sideline for long as Will Geary both stripped and recovered a fumble from Red Raiders running back DeAndre Washington to give K-State the ball at the 20.

On the legs of junior running back Charles Jones, the Wildcats got the ball to the 1 yard line where once again Hubener would grind it in for his third rushing touchdown of the game cutting the Tech lead to 7.

Tech would respond though, closing out the third quarter with 10 straight points including a 20 yard pass from Mahomes to Stockton, his third total touchdown of the day, giving the Red Raiders a 17 point lead going into the 4th quarter.

The Red Raiders opened up the 4th quarter with another touchdown on a short run by Mahomes to give Tech a 24 point lead.

The Wildcat comeback bid would then begin as Hubener hit freshman wide receiver Dominique Heath on a six yard touchdown pass. The two point conversion would fail, only cutting the lead to 52-34.

After a Red Raider three and out, K-State would waste no time finding the end zone again as Hubener connected with senior wide receiver Kyle Klein for a wide open 33 yard touchdown.

The Wildcats would attempt the onside and would convert, giving K-State a chance to cut the lead to within a touchdown.

The Wildcats would stall out but senior kicker Jack Cantele would hit from 43 yards to cut the Tech lead to 8.

The Wildcats would attempt the onside once again and would recover, but an offsides call negated the recovery and forced a re-kick in which the Wildcats would not recover.

Tech, led by Washington, would make their way down the field once last time punching in his third touchdown of the night, running it in from 12 yards out.

Washington would end up with 248 yards rushing to go along with those three touchdowns.

The touchdown gave Tech a 15 point lead that would be too much for the Wildcats to overcome with only a minute remaining in the game.

Check back tomorrow for a full recap of Saturday’s game.

Timothy Everson
Tim Everson was born in Wichita, KS in 1994. Before fifth grade he moved up to Manhattan for one year before settling in Riley, KS where he graduated from Riley County High School in 2012. Tim has worked for the Collegian since spring of 2014 and took over as Sports Editor during the summer of 2015. Tim loves sports, music, movies and good food when he can get it.