Wednesday news briefs

0
50

Students awarded Pete Henry scholarship

Four part-time students from K-State Global Campus received scholarships from the Pete Henry Foundation. Each award totaled $1,000, according to K-State News and Communications Services.

Recipients of the scholarships included Mayra Pacheco, junior in family studies and human services; Krista Mauck, graduate student in agricultural education and communication; Olivia Sampson, junior in animal sciences and industry; and Melissa Vogt, graduate student in agribusiness.

The Pete Henry Foundation aims to financially help Kansas college students from Cheyenne, Decatur, Gove, Logan, Rawlins, Sheridan, Sherman, Thomas and Wallace counties.

“It’s a pleasure to partner with the Pete Henry Foundation to help students in northwest Kansas be aware of the opportunity for support as they pursue their education at a distance,” Sue Maes, dean of Global Campus, said to K-State News and Communications Services. “Supporting these students also helps northwest Kansas since students can stay and work in their communities, contributing to the economic strength of the area.”

Phillips 66 awards students cash prize in Business Ethics Case Competition

Several student teams won $2,750 in cash prizes in the Phillips 66 Business Ethics Case Competition, according to K-State News and Communications Services. The competition was a collaboration between the company and the K-State College of Business.

A total of 55 teams competed. Each team, made up of two to four students, completed an analysis of business ethics case studies.

“The case competition provides students with a good opportunity to examine a real-world issue while balancing both ethical and business-financial considerations,” William Turnley, interim head of the department of management and Sam and Karen Forrer, chair, said. “We are very grateful to those who so willingly gave their time and resources to allow us to provide students with this opportunity.”

Awardees on the first-place team were seniors in business Hannah Schwefer and Helen Tacke, who received $1,000.

The second-place team, which won $750, included Kayla McKinney, senior in entrepreneurship; Erica Gonzales, senior in marketing; and Pricilla Enriquez, senior in management.

The third-place team was awarded $500 and included Mackenzie Selzer, senior in accounting; Zach Bailey, senior in entrepreneurship; and Shawn Moore, senior in management.

The honorable mention team one received $250 and included Courtney Brownlee, senior in marketing; Lucas Munds, senior in management; and Ronesha Cobb, senior in marketing.

The honorable mention team two won $250 and included Daniel Kroeker, senior in management; Justin Reilly, senior in accounting; and Connor Kelley, senior in accounting.

Jamie Teixeira
My name is Jamie Teixeira and I am a senior English and journalism with a minor in Leadership. I am the president of Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society, a tutor at the K-State Writing Center,and a member of the K-State Tap Dance Ensemble. My future plans are to become an editor or publisher of children's literature. Outside of school I love to read and cuddle with my kitten, Bert.