Big 12 Power Rankings Week 12: Conference title remains up for grabs

0
87
K-State junior defensive back Jesse Mack attempts to tackle Oklahoma University wide receiver Joe Mixon during the football game between OU and K-State on Oct. 17, 2015 in Bill Snyder Family Stadium. (File Photo by George Walker | The Collegian)

Sure the Big 12 might be getting screwed in the College Football Playoffs, but it’s still possible it could get one or even two teams in. The most important ranking right now, however, is the Big 12 Power Rankings. Hello week 12.

1. Oklahoma (7) (9-1) Next: TCU

A week after Oklahoma State stunned TCU, the Sooners traveled to Waco, Texas, and dropped the Bears, setting up a possible winner-take-all for the Big 12 title in two weeks. For that to happen, though, the Sooners have to beat TCU.

2. Oklahoma State (4) (10-0) Next: Baylor

Last week, the Cowboys survived in Ames, Iowa, and still are on track for a possible appearance in the playoffs. For Oklahoma State to reach football’s final four, they’ll have to go through Baylor and Oklahoma to do it. This is easier said than done.

3. TCU (11) (9-1) Next: At Oklahoma

Right now, the Horned Frogs are beaten up and looking at a nearly impossible return to the playoffs. A win at Oklahoma this weekend would work wonders for their chances.

4. Baylor (10) (8-1) Next: At Oklahoma State

See TCU. The Bears, however, don’t have as solid of a resume as TCU.

5. Texas Tech (NR) (6-5) Next: Bye Week

Texas Tech’s win over K-State has made them bowl eligible. They could possibly have some company by the end of the weekend.

6. West Virginia (NR) (5-4) Next: At Kansas

West Virginia should win this weekend at Kansas. If they don’t then, um… uh-oh.

7. Texas (NR) (4-6) Next: Bye Week

In order for Texas to be bowl eligible this season, the Longhorns have to beat Texas Tech and Baylor. One out of two might just be enough because, well, it’s been that kind of season for the Big 12.

8. Iowa State (NR) (3-7) Next: At K-State

Iowa State has limped through another season, finishing under .500. A win versus K-State would surely spoil the Wildcats’ season and officially give the Cyclones and Jayhawks some company at the “We didn’t make a bowl” party.

9. K-State (NR) (3-6) Next: Iowa State

It’s simple for the Wildcats: win and their bowl hopes are alive; lose and they’re dead.

It’s really as simple as that.

10. Kansas (NR) (0-10) Next: West Virginia

They may be sitting at the bottom of the power
rankings, but these Jayhawks are certainly fighting. I’ll give them that. Don’t be
shocked if they challenge for an upset in their final few games.