Iowa State looks to spoil Manhattan’s bowl hopes

0
147
Baylor defensive back Ryan Reid throws up his arms in despair as junior quarterback Joe Hubener takes off on a 34-yard touchdown run to cut the Bears' lead to 31-17 as K-State attempts a comeback in the fourth quarter of the Wildcats' 24-31 loss to the No. 2 Bears on Nov. 5, 2015, in Bill Snyder Family Stadium. Hubener rushed for 153 yards and two touchdowns against the Bears. (File Photo by Parker Robb | The Collegian)

After drawing a near-upset bid to the highly ranked Oklahoma State Cowboys, the Iowa State Cyclones travel to Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Saturday to face K-State and attempt to end any bowl hopes for the Wildcats.

Although the Cyclones are sitting at 3-7 and have had many disappointing moments this season, head coach Bill Snyder said he knows the 2015 edition of Farmageddon will be just as intense as the seasons before.

“Well, I think their coaching staff does a great job,” Snyder said. “(Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads), I have a great deal of respect for him. I think they are a football team who works for it. When you watch them, you see them play hard, they are very sound offensively and defensively and they do not put themselves in harm’s way. When you do that, and if they carry that over in the practice environment, which I am pretty certain they do, then you are going to have that improvement day in and day out or week in and week out.”

The Iowa State rushing attack is led by freshman Mike Warren, who leads all freshmen playing in FBS with 1,070 yards rushing and four touchdowns.

Warren is the 13th Cyclone in school history to go over the 1,000-yard rushing mark and first-ever freshman in school history to achieve the feat. Coach Snyder said Warren is similar to a running back that has already given the Wildcats issues, Texas Tech’s DeAndre Washington.

“Well, to me, he is a lot like the youngster we played against last week (Washington),” Snyder said. “Both of them 1,000-yard rushers. He has good quickness about him. His change of direction is good. He can make you miss. He is a powerful runner as well if you do not tackle him the right way. He is going to stay on his feet and get the extra yardage.”

On defense, the Cyclones have struggled as they battle the tough defenses of the Big 12. Iowa State is giving up 464.1 yards per game on defense, which might be a good sign for a K-State offense that’s been struggling most of the season. Despite the struggles, however, the Wildcats know the Cyclones won’t be an easy out.

“They are a big two-high team, and we will see if it stays that way,” Joe Hubener said. “What they do well is they are very disciplined with what they do. They do not get beat deep very often. You have to take what they give you. We will see how it plays out.”