Letter to the editor: My Black is Beautiful

0
229

Loving thyself should never be a hard thing to do. However, in the society we live in today it’s almost impossible to feel comfortable in the skin you’re in. The media has such a huge impact on how we feel – not only about ourselves, but others as well.

The Black Student Union found a way to celebrate one another by cultivating a week dedicated to loving who we are. From Nov. 9 to Nov. 15, students of the Black Student Union celebrated their first ever “My Black is Beautiful” week. Students gathered throughout the week focusing on the uplift and encouragement of black students everywhere.

Most importantly, the core of this week went towards identifying the beauty in our black.

The week started with a forum, “I Love My Blackness and Yours,” where students spent time tackling stigmas and stereotypes that are chained to black people and black communities. Students shared experiences that negatively impacted how they felt about themselves. This forum lead the rest of the week into events that would help the black community feel more beautiful. Each day further pushed towards being “unapologetically black” and embracing our story; the core of what makes us beautiful.

Many people cannot understand why this past week was so important to celebrate. Criticism in vast social media outlets made that clear. One thing I wish to share that may enlighten those who are unsure, is this … Black people across the world are prized for what we can do for everyone, what new dances we can come up with, what new fashions we can conjure up and what new songs everyone can sing along to. But rarely in America do people truly appreciate what black people have done for America, and also the world. The things which we create are great to the masses, but we as a people are still looked down upon. However, this past week the Black Student Union decided that we are the new standard of beauty and our skin is just as beautiful as everyone else’s.

This was just one week solely dedicated to our beauty, but there will most certainly be more to come.

Casha Mills, senior in English