Stayin’ Alive

Senior kicker Jack Cantele, kicks the game-winning field goal of the football game against Iowa State at Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Nov. 21, 2015. (Emily Starkey | The Collegian)

Thanks to three fumbles by Iowa State, the Wildcats made triumphant comeback, scoring 24 unanswered to beat Iowa State 38-35.

It snaps a six game losing streak and becomes the Wildcats first conference win of the season.

It also keeps K-State’s bowl hopes alive, getting the first of three needed wins to qualify.

After trading three and outs to start the game, Iowa State capitalized off of great field position after a 46 yard punt return as Cyclone quarterback Joel Lanning connected with Trever Ryen for a wide open 21 yard touchdown.

Lanning ended the day going 15-20 for 210 yards and 43 yards rushing.

After junior running back Charles Jones and junior quarterback Joe Hubener raced down the field, racking up 56 rushing yards, the Wildcats reached deep down into their playbook for a response

Junior fullback Glenn Gronkowski would execute the fullback pass perfectly finding his fullback partner in crime, freshman Winston Dimel, for a four yard touchdown pass right in the middle of the endzone to tie it up at 7.

Iowa State’s offense got back to their goal line on the next drive but K-State defense was able dig down deep and force a turnover on downs on the one yard line.

The Wildcats would return the favor soon after as Jones would cough the ball up on the second play of the drive to give the Cyclones back the ball on the goal line.

The K-State defense would whittle Iowa State’s offense to fourth down again but this time they would not be denied as Lanning snuck it in from a yard out, put the Cyclones on top 14-7.

Iowa State would find sucess through the air again on their next drive and Lanning hooked up with Lazard for a 30 yard touchdown pass giving the Cyclones a 21-7 lead.

Lazard would have a big day, racking up 86 yards recieving on 5 catches and 2 touchdowns.

K-State found the score board soon after after senior kick returner Morgan Burns blazed down the field for his second kick return for touchdown in as many games and his third this season to cut the lead 21-14.

Iowa State would not take their ensuing kick return all the way back but on the second play of their drive, freshman running back sensation Mike Warren would go 76 yards untouched for a touchdown.

Warren would have a huge day rushing for 195 yards and a touchdowns.

The Wildcats offensive stagnation would trudge it’s way back onto the field as Hubener and company would cross midfield before two short runs and a two incomplete passes forced a turnover on downs.

Lanning would continue to deal and embarrass the K-State secondary as Lazard would burn through the Wildcats secondary, recording his second touchdown of the game on a 16 yard catch on the edge of the endzone giving Iowa State a three touchdown lead heading into halftime.

The Wildcats opened up the second half with a six minute drive that ended with Jones scampering into the endzone from eight yards out to cut the Iowa State lead to 14.

Jones would end the day with 65 yards and two touchdowns.

After making their way down the field, the Cyclones saw their own drive stall out as once again head coach Paul Rhoads elected to go for it on 4th down and came up unsuccessful as K-State took over on down at their own 30.

The Wildcats, once again began their methodical drive down the field, burning up five and a half minutes off the clock. The Wildcats faced dire straights with 4th down and four from the seven. Hubener hooked up with senior wide receiver Kody Cook for 7 yard reception to get K-State within a score.

Hubener went 18-31 for 186 yards and a touchdown to go along with leading the team in rushing with 90 yards.

The Cyclones once again had little issue driving down the field, getting all of the way down to the 30 before once again seeing the offensive stall out thanks in part to a huge 3rd down sack by redshirt freshman safety Kendall Adams to force a punt from Iowa State.

K-State would squander their next two shots at tieing the ball as Warren fumbled the ball after K-State punted, only for K-State to go three and out on Iowa State’s side of the fifty.

K-State would have one last shot at tying as the Cyclones punted giving the Wildcats 2:27 seconds to get the ball in the endzone.

The Wildcats would blow that chance as well as a 4th and long Hubener pass to Cook sailed over his head, seemingly ending K-State’s comeback bid.

But, on the first play of the Iowa State’s drive, Warren had to ball poked away from him by sophomore tackle Will Geary giving the K-State offense new life.

The Wildcats started strong with Hubener connecting with senior wide receiver Andre Davis for 42 yards to get the ball inside the fifteen before two short runs from Hubener paved the way for Jones to tie it up.

It seemed that after the Wildcats tied it up the game was headed to overtime but a sack by senior defensive end Marquel Bryant strip sacked Lanning, giving K-State the ball inside the 30 with 10 seconds left on the clock.

That would set up a 42 yard field goal attempt that senior kicker Jack Cantele would hit to take the lead and completed a 24 point comeback.

Timothy Everson
Tim Everson was born in Wichita, KS in 1994. Before fifth grade he moved up to Manhattan for one year before settling in Riley, KS where he graduated from Riley County High School in 2012. Tim has worked for the Collegian since spring of 2014 and took over as Sports Editor during the summer of 2015. Tim loves sports, music, movies and good food when he can get it.