Sunflower beatdown

Redshirt freshman fullback Winston Dimel catches the fullback "pop pass" that K-State has perfected and used very effectively the last few seasons from quarterback Joe Hubener for a 44-yard gain coming just one yard short of a touchdown in the first quarter of the Wildcats' 45-14 beatdown of rival Kansas Jayhawks in the 113th annual Sunflower Showdown Saturday evening in Memorial Stadium in Lawrence, Kansas. (Parker Robb | The Collegian)

Another Sunflower Showdown, another beat down as K-State pummeled rival Kansas 45-14 for their seventh straight win versus the Jayhawks.

Special teams helped K-State get a foothold early, as two consecutive punts were blocked by the Wildcats, both recovered by senior cornerback Morgan Burns.

Burns had a big day, grabbing his first interception of the season (and the first interception for the Wildcat secondary of the season) in addition to his two recoveries and the touchdown.

The first one was promptly ran in on the next play by freshman fullback Winston Dimel. The other was dived on immediately after the block in the endzone by Burns for a touchdown.

Dimel had his biggest game of the seasons, scoring two touchdowns on the ground to go along with a huge 44 yard pass that would set up his second touchdown.

Kansas found their only offensive success of the game in between the two blocks as freshman Jayhawks quarterback Ryan Willis orchestrated a drive that set up a 27 yard touchdown pass to Tre’ Parmalee.

Willis went 19-35 for 215 yards and two touchdowns and a interception.

From then on, it would be all K-State as the Wildcats would tack on three more touchdowns in the first half including a eight yard run by junior fullback Glenn Gronkowski and a two yard run from junior quarterback Joe Hubener.

K-State’s 28 point halftime lead was the largest of the season.

The second half would be very the much the same for the Jayhawks but offensively, the Wildcats would struggle.

They didn’t find the endzone once through the third quarter but put up some points on a 33 yard field goal from sophomore kicker Matt McCrane.

The field goal marked the first for McCrane since the first game of the season versus South Dakota as he was injured early in the UTSA game on a extra point.

The Wildcat offense would strike one final time in the fourth quarter as Hubener broke through and scored on a 22 yard run giving the Wildcats a 45-7 lead.

Hubener quietly led the Wildcats in rushing putting up 88 yards and two touchdown while going 10-17 through the air for 133 yards.

The Jayhawks would have one final gasp as Willis would lead his team down the field on a 6:23 touchdown drive resulting 26 yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Bobby Hartzog.

The Jayhawk touchdown would be the final score of the night giving the Wildcats a 45-14 victory.

With the win, K-State is one win away from officially qualifying for bowl eligibility for the sixth straight season with one game left, versus West Virginia.

Check back with the Collegian later tonight and tomorrow for more coverage of K-State’s Sunflower Showdown win.

Tim Everson was born in Wichita, KS in 1994. Before fifth grade he moved up to Manhattan for one year before settling in Riley, KS where he graduated from Riley County High School in 2012. Tim has worked for the Collegian since spring of 2014 and took over as Sports Editor during the summer of 2015. Tim loves sports, music, movies and good food when he can get it.