Monday news briefs

0
124

Sunset Zoo welcomes two new tigers

Two new tigers will be added to the Sunset Zoo’s exhibits and will be available for visitors to view beginning Dec. 12 at noon, according to a release from the zoo.

The two Malayan tigers, eight-year-old brothers Malik and Hakim, came to Sunset Zoo earlier in November from Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Gardens, a zoo also accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. The tigers await their exhibit debut from “behind the scenes” until they finish the standard quarantine process, according to the zoo’s release.

“We are thrilled to reconnect Manhattan residents to these gorgeous big cats and also unveil to the community exciting plans for their new home — along with sloth bears and leopards — at Sunset Zoo,” Scott Shoemaker, zoo director, said in the release.

Since the loss of their tiger, Bob, in the spring of 2014, members of the zoo staff have worked with “a professional architect and lead donor” in a process of redesigning the zoo’s Asian Trail. Construction for newly relocated tiger and sloth bear exhibits will not affect the old habitats, so it was decided that tigers could be brought back during a time of fundraising for the new exhibit designs.

Along with the unveiling of the tiger exhibit, plans to “rediscover” sloth bears and leopards at the zoo will also be revealed.

Riley county building explosion sends man to hospital

According to Pat Collins, Riley County fire chief, a northern Riley County building explosion on Saturday afternoon caused injuries to a man and a dog, KMAN reported.

It was reported that the explosion occurred during a furnace check of a shop building at 2217 Ober Road.

When the door to the building, which contained “several firearms,” was opened, the explosion caused the windows of a house 100 feet away to be blown out. The explosion site was destroyed.

Approximately 20 Riley County fire and EMS crew members responded to the scene at about 3:40 p.m. One victim, Ken Specht, was transported to Via Christi Hospital.

Manhattan woman hospitalized due to I-70 vehicle accident

A Manhattan woman, Tomi Tibbetts, 32, was one of three people injured in an Ellsworth County vehicle accident that occurred Saturday around 10 p.m., according to the Little Apple Post.

It was reported by the Kansas Highway Patrol that a 1999 Mitsubishi Montero, driven by Tibbetts, was headed east on Interstate 70. Tibbetts lost control of the vehicle before it exited the roadway on the right and rolled.

Tibbetts, along with two passengers, both from Olathe, were taken to Ellsworth Medical Center after the accident. The KHP reported that those in the vehicle were “properly restrained at the time of the accident,” according to the Little Apple Post.

Hey there! I'm Danielle Cook. I'm currently a freshman in journalism and mass communications. I live for telling true stories, so I hope to be doing it for the rest of my life. Luckily, I also live for late nights and early mornings – as long as there's coffee and I'm in good company.