Wednesday news briefs

0
44

FAA approves K-State Polytechnic for unmanned aircraft training

K-State Polytechnic received approval from the Federal Aviation Administration, making it the first place in the U.S. to get authorization to train students and companies in unmanned aircraft systems, according to K-State News and Communications Services.

A Section 333 exemption permits the polytechnic campus to construct, create and supervise a training program to operate unmanned aircrafts. The authorization is limited to allow the training of students.

“Kansas State’s UAS program continues to be a leader and innovator in the UAS industry,” Kurt Carraway, UAS program manager at K-State Polytechnic, said in a release. “Our goal is to produce the most relevant and professional graduate possible, and we can now offer an exclusive flight training program that will take the student experience to the next level. Kansas State Polytechnic is essentially setting the standard on how to educate tomorrow’s unmanned pilots.”

Students are not the only ones benefitting from the approval of UAS training, as the school is allowed to train commercial partners in the industry.

“Another distinction of this FAA approval is being able to provide flight training to commercial partners,” Carraway said in the release. “For almost every industry, there is a UAS application. We’re proud to be able to partner with companies and provide them with the tools they need to integrate this technology into their sector while offering rigorous, specialized flight training operations.”

K-State researchers work to improve rabies vaccination

With the support of the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association, K-State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory is working collaboratively to improve the rabies vaccine, according to K-State News and Communications Services.

Rolan Davis, scientist in the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, said this collaborative effort has several benefits.

“We are all like-minded individuals using science for the betterment of pet health,” Davis said to K-State News and Communications Services. “We have modified our test into a microtest so that we can do more testing with less sample from an animal. This helps drive down the price; we use smaller wells for testing so it is more economic and pet-friendly.”

Researchers at the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association and K-State are worried about side effects of rabies vaccines; some of these side effects include cancer and seizures, according to K-State News and Communications Services.

“This is a collaborative effort to bring awareness to pet owners who are concerned with over-vaccinating, and it will give us more data to bring to the regulation agencies,” said Susan Moore, director of the rabies lab and clinical assistant professor in the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory.

Kansan runs for U.S. Senate

Monique Singh-Bey, a Wyandotte County resident, announced Tuesday that she will run for U.S. Senate. According to the Topeka Capital-Journal, Singh-Bey is running to increase black elected officials; her advocacy for black individuals in office is part of a larger, nationwide effort.

Singh-Bey, a former resident of Topeka, will run as an independent candidate. According to the Topeka Capital-Journal, the Universal African Peoples Organization, a national organization promoting accurate demographic representation proportional to population, wants to increase the number of black officials represented in the government.

The Senate needs 13 black senators to be proportionate to demographics of the U.S., but only two black officials hold positions presently, the Topeka Capital-Journal reported.

Jamie Teixeira
My name is Jamie Teixeira and I am a senior English and journalism with a minor in Leadership. I am the president of Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society, a tutor at the K-State Writing Center,and a member of the K-State Tap Dance Ensemble. My future plans are to become an editor or publisher of children's literature. Outside of school I love to read and cuddle with my kitten, Bert.