Manhattan City Commission rezones areas east of City Park

0
102

The Manhattan City Commission downzoned several blocks east of City Park at its meeting Tuesday.

The 142 parcels affected will be rezoned as single-family residential. They were previously four-family residential.

Commissioners will hold a work session on Jan. 12, 2016 to address issues created by nonconforming lots. One of the issues is the existence of rental properties that met the old four-family zoning, but do not meet the new single-family zoning.

Saying he represented “the landlords of Manhattan,” Richard Hill, owner of Hill Management, suggested “amnesty” for rental properties, allowing them to be “grandfathered” into the new zoning.

In other action, GTM Sportswear Inc. was issued $1.7 million in industrial revenue bonds to expand its manufacturing facility at 520 McCall Road.

An annual cereal malt beverages on-premises license was approved for the K-State Student Union.

Water and sewer rates were each raised by 3 percent, and the Kansas One Call Fee was raised by 85 cents.

The Lee Mill Heights Addition will receive more than $800,000 in upgrades to sanitary sewer, water, street and stormwater infrastructure.

Carollo Engineers, of Kansas City, Missouri, will receive a contract totaling around $600,000 for water treatment plant improvements.

Middlecreek Corp., of Peabody, Kansas, was awarded a construction contract of over $500,000 for the Poyntz Avenue pump station extension. A contract with Amec Foster Wheeler, of Topeka, was amended to provide for additional construction engineering services totaling close to $18,000.

Mayor Karen McCulloh gave a reminder of the holiday parade on Friday. She also proclaimed next Wednesday as “Sock It To ‘Em Work Day,” to bring attention to the Sock It To ‘Em campaign, which provides socks to the homeless and needy.

Commissioners also approved a first-reading of an ordinance to erect a pylon sign of business’ names for the Stonecreek Planned Unit Development.

A public meeting was set for Jan. 5, 2016, to discuss sanitary sewer concerns between Houston and Pierre streets just west of 17th Street. The issue stems from the lack of a direct public sewer connection for seven properties in the area.

Jason Tidd
Jason Tidd graduated from Kansas State University's Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communication in May 2017. He was the spring 2017 editor-in-chief, fall 2016 news editor and spring 2016 assistant news editor. While at K-State, Jason played baritone in the Pride of Wildcat Land marching band.