Big 12 Power Rankings Week 13

0
195
Joe Mixon, an Oklahoma running back, attempts to push his way around junior defensive back Jesse Mack during the football game between K-State and Oklahoma University in Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Oct. 17, 2015. (File Photo by Emily Starkey | The Collegian)

1. Oklahoma (3) (11-1) Next: Bowl Game

The Sooners made it clear on Nov. 29 in Stillwater that they are the best team in the Big 12. They took rival Oklahoma State to the woodshed and clinched a spot in the College Football Playoff. It is possible that Oklahoma may have a Heisman Trophy winner in quarterback Baker Mayfield, as well.

2. TCU (11) (10-2) Next: Bowl Game

The Horned Frogs avoided a third straight loss in 2015 when they beat rival Baylor in the cold November rain of Fort Worth, Texas, on Nov. 27. The win puts them in prime position for a possible New Year’s Six bowl. Their losses to Oklahoma and Oklahoma State may hurt them, though.

3. Baylor (12) (9-2) Next: Texas

Baylor is in the same situation as TCU; however, they do have a chance to improve their New Year’s Six bowl chances with a good showing at Texas this weekend.

4. Oklahoma State (14) (10-2) Next: bowl game

Any chance the Cowboys had of reaching the College Football Playoff went away with a lackluster performance against Oklahoma to end the season. It also might have been bad enough that Oklahoma State is on the outside looking in when it comes to the New Year’s Six bowl picture.

5. West Virginia (NR) (7-4) Next: At K-State

With no chance of reaching a New Year’s Six bowl, the Mountaineers travel to Manhattan with a chance to improve their bowl position if they can beat the Wildcats on Saturday.

6. Texas Tech (NR) (7-5) Next: bowl game

Texas Tech is in the same situation as many other teams around the country; however, their win against Texas on Thanksgiving will keep the Red Raider fans happy well into 2016.

7. K-State (NR) (5-6) Next: West Virginia

It’s simple for K-State: a win gets them into a bowl. A loss means they may be sweating it out on Sunday when bowl bids are handed out. It would be easiest for the Wildcats to just win and save any useless drama.

8. Texas (NR) (4-7) Next: At Baylor

The Texas Longhorns are limping to a second straight bowl-less season. A win against longtime rival Baylor, however, would cure a lot of ills for a season gone south.

9. Iowa State (NR) (3-9) Next: season over

Paul Rhoads no longer coaches in Ames, Iowa, as he was fired after the K-State meltdown two weeks ago. The good news it that it didn’t take long for Iowa State to hire a new coach. They brought in Matt Campbell from Toledo. Maybe this could break them into the top five at some point in the next year or two?

10. Kansas (NR) (0-12) Next: basketball season

Good news: the Kansas Jawhawks’ football season is over. Bad news: it’s basketball season, so now Jayhawk fans have to remind everybody that they are a basketball school. Invest in noise canceling headphones this holiday season.