Piano vandalized in All Faiths Chapel

6
10206
The piano in All Faith's Chapel was found overturned Dec. 4, 2015. (Photo courtesy of Teri Breymeyer)

Someone overturned a new Steinway piano in the All Faiths Chapel sometime between Thursday night and Friday morning, according to K-State Police.

The piano, worth over $119,000, was found overturned Friday, according to Teri Breymeyer, administrative assistant for the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance.

“We used it last night,” Gartner said. “It was found this way this morning.”

The full extent of damage has yet to be assessed, but according to K-State Police, the piano received a number of visible scratches and dents and is currently unplayable.

Teri Breymeyer, administrative assistant for the school, said there is no known motive at this time.

“We don’t know if it’s a prank,” Breymeyer said. “But if it was, they don’t realize how much damage it caused by overturning the piano.”

Breymeyer said the damage costs will be unknown until they will be able to turn the piano right side up and have it examined.

The vandalism comes just as Collegium Musicum, the early music ensemble, was going to take place in All Faiths Chapel tonight at 7:45 p.m.

Breymeyer said the concert may have to move to Kirmser Hall as a result.

If you have information about the incident, you can contact K-State Police at 785-532-6412 or anonymously at https://www.k-state.edu/police/silent/