Wednesday news briefs

0
49

Brownback disagrees with Trump’s immigration proposal

Gov. Sam Brownback does not agree with Donald Trump’s call for suspension of all immigrating Muslims, even though following the Paris attacks a few weeks ago, Brownback and various other state governors attempted to bar states from assisting refugees, according to the Topeka Capital-Journal.

Brownback worked to resist the aid for and relocations of Syrian refugees to Kansas.

Trump, the current Republican Party presidential frontrunner, called Monday for a complete hold of Muslim immigration, the same religious test entry President Barack Obama rejected, Sunday.

“I don’t agree with what Trump put forward,” Brownback said to the Topeka Capital-Journal. “I thought what happened right after 9/11 was a prudent step, where President Bush dropped down the number of refugees admitted to the United States. They put extra screening on the top countries from which people associated, people that had done terrorist activities, were immigrating from.”

Brownback said he does not agree with Trump’s proposal.

“I don’t think it’s right,” Brownback said. “I’m for religious freedom and I don’t think there’s any chance it’s constitutional.”

Researchers develop disease resistant pigs

Researchers at K-State, the University of Missouri and Genus plc, a global agricultural biotechnology company, developed pigs resistant to a disease caused by the porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus, according to a press release by K-State News and Communications Services.

Since the 1980s, the U.S. pork industry has lost over $10 billion because of the disease, the release said.

“In the decades that we have had the PRRS virus, we have looked at vaccines, diagnostics and other strategies and we have never been able to eliminate the disease,” Raymond Rowland, professor of diagnostic medicine and pathobiology, said to K-State News and Communications Services. “This is the first time that we have established the potential to eliminate this devastating disease.”

Rowland began studying the PRRS virus more than 20 years ago and is one of the the leading experts on the virus in the world, according to K-State News and Communications Services.

Rowland said researchers and scientists could potentially apply the ideas of the resistant pig to other diseases. He said he sees opportunities to continue research in the K-State Biosecurity Research Institute and with the National Bio and Agro-defense Facility.

“At the very least, the development of PRRS-resistant pigs is a new tool for improving pig well-being and reducing economic losses,” Rowland said. “At the most, it could be the beginning of a revolution that will eradicate many of the most important livestock diseases that affect global animal and human health communities.”

Jamie Teixeira
My name is Jamie Teixeira and I am a senior English and journalism with a minor in Leadership. I am the president of Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society, a tutor at the K-State Writing Center,and a member of the K-State Tap Dance Ensemble. My future plans are to become an editor or publisher of children's literature. Outside of school I love to read and cuddle with my kitten, Bert.