Thursday news briefs

0
520

Former Miss Kansas faces charges for hunting violation

Theresa Vail, former Miss Kansas and Top 10 Miss America finalist in 2014, now faces hunting violation charges, as she reportedly killed a bear accidentally.

When the violation occurred, Vail was on a legal bear hunt in Alaska as part of her television show, “Limitless with Theresa Vail,” under the regulation that she “had permission to shoot one bear,” but “accidentally killed a second,” according to ABC News’ report of the police records filed on the incident.

Authorities cited that Vail attempted to make the kill of the second bear look like it was legal by falsifying a locking tag.

Michael Renfro is a guide with Renfro’s Alaskan Adventures and served as the Vail’s lead guide on her hunt. Renfro faces charges for the violation as well.

The hunt during which Vail committed this hunting violation did not air, the Outdoor Channel said in its statement to ABC News, adding that the network is “committed to legal and ethical hunting.”

Vail apologized in a statement to ABC News, saying that she did report the incident and cooperate with authorities afterward. Vail said she “followed poor advice and allowed the second bear to be improperly tagged.”

Vail and Renfro both face two misdemeanor charges, each of which “could carry up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.”

Presidential candidate chides Kansas for not growing Medicaid

Martin O’Malley, a Democratic presidential candidate, said that “ideological concerns” were impeding Kansas’ ability to improve upon the health of low-income individuals and advance its healthcare division, according to the Topeka Capital-Journal.

Bob Beatty, associate professor of political science at Washburn University, inquired about O’Malley’s opinion on Kansas’ choice not to expand Medicaid at a campaign event in Iowa.

According to the Capital-Journal, the Affordable Care Act expanded to allow individuals who earn up to $16,243, or 138 percent of the federal poverty line, per year Medicaid use. Kansas’ KanCare is limited to providing for, “adults who earn less than 33 percent of the poverty line and who either have a child, are pregnant, have a disability or are older than 65.”

“‘Healing the sick’ as a moral precept is in all the world’s greatest religions,” O’Malley said to the Capital-Journal. “I think that includes all the different strains that are practiced in Kansas. I think in the states that are not expanding Medicaid that it’s more driven by ideological concerns more than anything else.”

Kansas Court of Appeals deliberates state abortion protections

A lawsuit left an appeals court with no choice but to discuss “whether the state constitution independently protects abortion rights,” on Wednesday, according to KSNT News. The “wrestle” with this issue was brought about by a lawsuit against Kansas’ ban of “a common second-trimester method for terminating pregnancies.”

The two doctors who filed the lawsuit are Herbert Hodes and Traci Nauser, who perform abortions at their center in Kansas City.

In July, a Shawnee County judge ruled a block on the law so that it would not be informed while Hodes and Nauser’s case took place. The state is appealing this ruling.

Multiple judges “expressed skepticism” on Wednesday while attorneys argued about the vague wording about individual liberties used on the state constitution’s Bill of Rights. The judges indicated that the wording can be interpreted to protect abortion rights.

This case has been heard by all appeals judges, where typically, most cases would be heard by a panel of three.

KSNT News reported, “If the two doctors who’ve challenged the ban prevail, the state courts could find grounds to invalidate other state abortion laws — even if federal courts declare that the U.S. Constitution permits the restrictions.”

Hey there! I'm Danielle Cook. I'm currently a freshman in journalism and mass communications. I live for telling true stories, so I hope to be doing it for the rest of my life. Luckily, I also live for late nights and early mornings – as long as there's coffee and I'm in good company.