Wildcats to play final game before break

0
36
Junior center Breanna Lewis puts up a shot on Dec. 3, 2015 at Bramlage Coliseum. Lewis had a total of four blocks in the game against UT Arlington. (File Photo by Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

Final exams are just around the corner for students at K-State, and student athletes on campus will have a week off from games to focus on their studies.

The K-State women’s basketball team, however, has one final game to play before this hectic week begins.

The Wildcats will welcome the Florida Atlantic Owls from Boca Raton, Florida, to Bramlage Coliseum at 4 p.m. on Sunday.

The Owls will be no easy task for the Wildcats as they come to Manhattan sitting on a 5-1 overall record. Their only loss, however, came to an opponent familiar to K-State.

On Nov. 28, just a little over a week after they faced the Wildcats, South Dakota squared up against the Owls in a Thanksgiving Tournament in Boca Raton. South Dakota fell to K-State 84-81 in overtime, but defeated Florida Atlantic, 76-53. The 23-point defeat of the Owls could provide Jeff Mittie with a successful game plan they can use to defeat head coach Kellie Lewis-Jay’s Owls.

Florida Atlantic has been led strongly in 2015 by their guard play. Leading the Owls on the floor this year has been senior guard Ali Gorrell. She has averaged this season at 15.5 points, 6.2 rebounds and 4.5 assists per game.

The other side of the two-headed monster attack of the Owls is senior guard Morgan Robinson. She couples Gorrell’s play with 10 points per game and 1.5 steals per game. Stopping Gorrell and Robinson will be key for K-State, if they hope to get their eighth win of the season.

In addition to stopping Florida Atlantic’s leaders, the Wildcats will need to get solid production out of their own leaders. K-State has been successful this season due to strong production from three players averaging double figures each game.

Junior guard Kindred Wesemann runs the point on the floor and is a vocal leader when on the bench Wesemann averages 12.9 points and 3.4 assists per game. Senior guard Megan Deines couples Wesemann’s production at the guard spot with 11.3 points per game. Deines suffered an ankle injury earlier in the season, but said after the Wildcats’ last game that she is feeling more confident and closer to normal with that injury.

Junior center Breanna Lewis, despite being a little inconsistent recently, is a strong threat for the Wildcats down low averaging 3.1 blocks per game and contributing 15.4 points per game.

The Wildcats will be back in action again on Saturday, Dec. 19 at 7 p.m. when they welcome Sam Houston State to Bramlage Coliseum.