Wildcats hail the New Year: Memphis style

0
134
Beale Street in Memphis, Tennessee (Photo by Jeremy Atherton | CC BY-SA 2.5)

Fans are traveling from all over to watch their beloved Wildcats take on the Arkansas Razorbacks. Along the way they are going to hail in the New Year in Memphis.

“We’re gonna play it by ear,” Dan Bird, ’61 alum, said. “We are going to be on Beale Street so there’s always something going on.”

Bird is right, Beale Street is a popular celebration destination, especially for New Years Eve.

According to Beale Street’s website, bealestreet.com, the New Years Eve party starts at 8 p.m. and lasts well into the morning. The event features “live music, dancing, fireworks, great food and drinks and thousands of your closest friends!”

Friends, rather fellow Wildcats, are what Kevin Brandt, ’08 alum, and his friends and family will be looking for on Beale Street.

“We’re just gonna try and find as many other K-State fans as we can,” Brandt said. “We’re always looking for the purple. The nice thing about that is the school color stands out.”

One reason K-Staters are gathering together there is for the Powercat Game Day radio broadcast, Brandt said.

“(Powercat Game Day) is doing their broadcast there and that draws a crowd,” Brandt said. “It’s where the big party and TV broadcast is done from,” Brandt said.

The party is televised by CNN, showcasing live music such as the opening act, The Jensen Band.

“There are several bars with live music, some are well-known artists that will be there,” Hayley Lollar, ’15 alumnae, said.

The event is also home to the Hard Rock Cafe Guitar Drop at midnight.

“They will have the ball similar to what they do in Aggieville but bigger,” Lollar said.

Beale Street is a hot spot for those ringing in the New Year, but Lollar said it’s not the only one.

“So on New Years Eve there are two main places that people will be, that Overton Square and Beale Street,” Lollar said.

The celebration at Overton Square is another crowd favorite.

“On Beale Street here is a similar theme (to Overton Square) but there is a different vibe,” Lollar said.

One big difference is the events offered throughout the day, starting at 2:00 p.m.

“This celebration will start sometime in the afternoon and they will have activities throughout the day,” Lollar said.

But that does not mean they do not party the night way. This celebration ends twelve hours after it starts and has the typical NYE hurrah.

Food, drink and music will take over Overton Square in the early afternoon and shut down the streets nearby at 9:00 p.m.

“They will have a midnight celebration with Champagne toast and drink specials and live music at most of the bars,” Lollar said.

Live music will celebrate the night, including The NUB who will close out 2015. And this celebration promises a 2016 surprise as New Years Day begins.

Whether there is a plan or not, there is plenty to do in Memphis on NYE.

“We’re just going to celebrate the new year and try to be able to get up the next day,” Bird said.

Jamie Teixeira
My name is Jamie Teixeira and I am a senior English and journalism with a minor in Leadership. I am the president of Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society, a tutor at the K-State Writing Center,and a member of the K-State Tap Dance Ensemble. My future plans are to become an editor or publisher of children's literature. Outside of school I love to read and cuddle with my kitten, Bert.