News briefs

0
57

Architecture classes canceled at temporary facility, APDWest

According to K-State Today, classes and activities are canceled today due to flooding of the College of Architecture, Planning and Design’s temporary facility, known as APDWest, located near the Manhattan airport.

K-State Confucius Institute offers Chinese language classes during spring semester

K-State’s Confucius Institute is offering multiple Mandarin Chinese classes during the new semester, according to K-State Today. These classes teach conversational Chinese and comprehensive Chinese, which focuses on listening, speaking, reading and writing.

The noncredit classes, are taught by Rong Shao, a former faculty member of China’s Jilin University, and accompany the Chinese language program through K-State’s modern languages department, according to K-State Today. The classes will meet once a week in the evening or on Saturday mornings for 12 weeks.

Olathe Campus reduces energy consumption by 35 percent

According to K-State Today, K-State’s Olathe campus’ carbon footprint is shrinking. The campus conducted an Energy Optimization Assessment with P1 Group Inc in February 2015. The assessment was a comprehensive energy audit of the HVAC system on the campus.

Andrena Keesee, site and facilities operations and services manager, said to K-State Today that while the system was designed for high efficiency, it was exceeding its projected energy use and output.

P1 Group and the Olathe campus used a retro-commissioning approach in order to evaluate the HVAC system.

“Often the systems in a building are designed to meet the future needs of the occupants rather than their immediate needs,” Russell Roderick, vice president of P1 Group, said. “What we did was review the original design and compare it to the intent of how the building would be operated versus how it currently operates. It was essentially a MRI on the building that helped us explore and then assess the needs in order to address those needs.”

Several changes over the course of 2015 were implemented after the evaluation to address unsatisfactory building environmental control, increase the system’s efficiency and correct design and construction issues. Some improvements that were made included a boiler upgrade that allows a system interface for optimal control, a balancing and reprogramming of air flows, zone temperature settings and occupancy schedules, according to K-State Today.

After theses changes, the campus is seeing results and improvements. Overall, the Olathe campus’ annual utility costs for 2015 were reduced by over 35 percent, according to K-State Today. The annual electricity consumption has been reduced by 10 percent and gas consumption is down by 48 percent. The campus was also able to pay back the cost of the assessment process with the energy savings within six months.

“We’re really happy with the results,” Keesee said. “Not only were the benefits in reduction of use and costs of the Energy Optimization Project immediately realized in the first few months of project completion, but results from the Optimization Assessment has provided valuable information about the HVAC system. This will aid in future energy savings measures as the building occupancy and activity increases over the next few years.”

Karyn Elliott
Howdy! I am the managing copy chief, and I am weirdly passionate about commas and coffee.