Baylor holds off Wildcats in overtime

0
50
Head coach Bruce Weber calls out a play during the basketball game against the University of South Dakota in Bramlage Coliseum on Nov. 20, 2015. (File Photo by Emily Starkey | The Collegian)

For the second time this season, K-State lost in double overtime in Big 12 play after a 79-72 loss to Baylor Wednesday night inside the Ferrell Center in Waco, Texas.

“I’m just so proud of our guys, they did everything we asked.” Weber said. “The first half was about as good as we played all year and we had some opportunities at the end, which is what we wanted.”

The Wildcats are now 11-7 overall and 1-5 in Big 12 play while the Bears are in first place in the Big 12 at 5-1 in conference play and improve to 15-3 overall.

K-State held a nine point lead in the first half, but the Bears cut the lead to six going into the locker room for halftime.

After the Wildcats led 39-32 with 17 minutes left in the second half, the Bears scored 11 of the next 13 points to take a 43-41 lead.

The rest of the half was very close as no one had more than a three point lead. The Bears held a 59-57 lead with five seconds left, but a foul by Baylor sent freshman guard Kamau Stokes to the line for two free throws.

Stokes had started every game this season, except for this one tonight against Baylor.

“I told him before the game you’ve got to show up and be a good teammate and help us find a way to get a win,” said Weber. “He stepped up for tonight and played good.”

Stokes hit both free throws to tie the game and after a missed Baylor shot, force overtime. Stokes ended the game with a team-high 21 points.

In the first overtime, the Wildcats trailed by two with 12 second to go, but junior guard Wesley Iwundu hit a jumper with eight seconds left. The Wildcats made a stop with a miss by the Bears to force a second overtime.

The Baylor Bears came out in full force for the second overtime and jumped out to a 73-67 lead with three minutes to go. The Bears thwarted any comeback by the Wildcats to win 79-72 and now lead by themselves in the Big 12.

“They made some big shots, sometimes that the way it goes, but our kids kept our composure,” Weber said. “I feel bad for our kids because they played really hard tonight, but we didn’t get stops down the stretch which was the difference.”

K-State was led in scoring by Stokes with 21, while junior forward D.J. Johnson had 11 points and Iwundu provided 10.

“Everybody did good things tonight and that’s why we were in it,” Weber said.

The Wildcats return to Manhattan on Saturday when they host Oklahoma State at 6 p.m. The Cowboys are coming off a 86-67 win over No. 3 ranked Kansas on Tuesday night.

“This is the time we need our fans the most,” Weber said. “I hope we have a great crowd, we need people there with lots of energy to get a win. Oklahoma State is going to be good so we need to play well, but we look forward to being back home.”