Two Fat Guys Review: Big D’s Burger Shack

0
1456
The Urban Cowboy, at Big D’s Burger Shack, is a smaller version of the Cowboy. (Mason Swenson | The Collegian)

Editor-in-Chief Jon Parton here, along with Sports Editor Timothy Everson. As a couple of big guys, we obviously enjoy decent food. This week, we decided to head out to Big D’s Burger Shack, located at 2024 Tuttle Creek Blvd. After hearing stories about its greasy goodness, we wanted to determine for ourselves if the restaurant was deserving of the fat-guy seal of approval.

Atmosphere

Tim: Big D’s is called a “Burger Shack” for a reason. If you venture inside, you will find two tables and a bar area with enough room to sit two or three comfortably.

During the summer, though, they do allow for more seating around their outside tables, complete with a window reaching outside so you can order while enjoying the nice weather around you.

The staff is nice and seemingly willing to help make your experience positive, assisting with anything from condiments to beverage refills. Owner Ewing Evans, also known as Big D, is a former fireman, and firefighter paraphernalia is on the walls, offering many things to gawk at while you chow down.

Jon: Calling it a burger shack isn’t just a playful name, it’s an accurate description of the place. The dining area consists of a couple of tables, a few bar stools and a counter.

Around the walls are various photos of patrons and reviews of the restaurant. To be honest, if you go to a burger joint just for the atmosphere, you’re going for the wrong reasons.

Some of the best food can be found in the most unexpected places, and Big D’s is no exception.

Food

Tim: Health food aficionados beware, Big D’s Burger Shack is your grandpa’s burger joint. The grease is plentiful, the calories don’t count and some of the serving sizes could apply for township status.

Local beef is mixed with fixings that leave you in a coma that if you’re not careful, you just might not come out of it. Cheese does not come in your standard Kraft singles slices, but instead in hefty wedges of your flavor choice. The cheese melts and cascades down your burger.

The fries are beer-battered, which adds flavor to a side that so often gets ignored next to other places’ burgers.

Jon: Oh dear God. I decided to be conservative and try the Urban Cowboy, a double burger consisting of 2/3 pound of local beef, choice of toppings and enough grease to double anyone’s cholesterol.

What I got was the best of Kansas on a bun. The tenderness of the burger combined with the flavor of the pepper jack cheese from local Alma Creamery was unbelievable. For someone who is used to fast food, I forgot just how good a burger could be.

The beer-battered fries were terrific. They had a good amount of heft to them and were cut thicker than most other burger joints’ fries. Their golden breading made them even more appetizing.

I also enjoyed the corn bites. Breaded creamed corn is something I’m used to eating down in Georgia, but not so much in Kansas. The sweetness of the corn really came through in this home-cooked side dish.

Value

Tim: As I mentioned earlier, the servings are huge. You can order up to a pound of beef in your burger, which equals three 1/3 pound patties, three hunks of cheese and enough veggies and condiments to fill anyone’s appetite.

The prices can get a little steep, though. If you’re looking to spend less than 10 bucks per person for a full burger, fries and a drink (lest we forget a Call Hall shake for the road), then maybe Big D’s isn’t for you. Having said that, I highly doubt, no matter what you end up spending, you’ll leave unsatisfied.

You could drop 15 bucks for food at Wendy’s or McDonald’s, but I doubt you’d leave as happy and fulfilled as you will leaving Big D’s. Definitely a spot to check out for any hungry college kid or a person in search of the perfect burger. I’m not sure if such a thing exists, but I would imagine that a Big D’s burger would more than fit the bill for anyone’s hankering.

Jon: Between the two of us, the total came to a little over $40 for two large burgers, two sides and two drinks. There are definitely cheaper options on the menu, such as the Big D, a 1/3 pound single burger for about $6.

On the whole, it’s pricier than what you’d find at other burger joints, but the quality of the food makes the experience worth it. Would I go again? I’m already making plans.

REVIEW OVERVIEW
Tim's Score
Jon's Score